Chapter Thirteen: Recovery

Izuku entered the classroom and as expected he was the first one present. Iida entered the room some time after Izuku and walked over before bowing to him.

Iida: Carter, I would like to express my condolences... Your father has done more for my family than I could ever repay! If you ever need anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Izuku sat in silence expressionless, almost a husk. Iida sat down as more students entered the class and looked at Izuku as they heard the news. Others began chatting about their experiences and others mentioned the hero killer but quickly changed the subject. Izumi approached Izuku followed by Katsuki.

Izumi: C- Carter... I heard about what happened and I'm sorry.

Katsuki: Yeah... If you need someone to talk to, we're always willing.

Izuku's expression didn't change but on the inside he was angry.

Izumi: I understand what you're going through but being alone-

Izuku cut Izumi off as he stood up, slamming his hands onto his desk in a fit of rage.

Izuku: HOW THE FUCK COULD YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M GOING THROUGH?! HUH? YOU DIDN'T LOSE YOUR PARENTS TWICE, YAGI! SO EXCUSE ME IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IT'S LIKE TO LOSE THE FIRST PERSON WHO ACCEPTED ME FOR WHO I WAS!!

Izuku snapped back into reality as he'd imagined his outburst. Izuku shook out of his daydream to Izumi who waved her hand in front of his face.

Izuku forced a soft smile hiding what he wanted to say and gave Izumi a slight nod.

Izuku: Thank you...

Timeskip...

The students gathered at field gamma for training.

Only gonna show Izuku's results.

All Might explained how the test was a race and the goal was to find and "rescue" him first.

As soon as All Might started the test, Izuku opened the portal and walked through in a zombie-like fashion, as if all the energy in his body was drained.

All Might: AND IT'S OVER!!

Class: Huh?! Already?!

The two days of returning to class went by quickly for others but for Izuku, it was almost excruciating to hear everyone's "My condolences" or "I'm sorry for your loss". Yes... it was a loss, one that he didn't realize he couldn't function without.

Aizawa noticed how Izuku was acting but he couldn't bring himself to confront him. The week soon passed and Izuku wasn't worried about the final exam. He returned home and when he entered the door, he was greeted by Eri and Dabi. Dabi had been made in charge of the house and put off school to look after Eri. Money wasn't an issue as Jin had left a surprising fortune behind for his sons.

Before he passed, Jin was finally able to teach Eri to smile and he made her promise to keep smiling no matter how bad the times got.

Eri: Zu!

Dabi: Hey bro.

Izuku shut the door behind him after he picked up Eri.

Izuku: Hey guys...

Izuku sat down and began eating dinner with the two in an awkward silence.

Dabi: So... Finals week is approaching soon... when we had it, we fought robots but who knows...

Izuku: Yeah... sure.

The tension and awkwardness was thick enough to choke on and Izuku finally stood up after barely touching his food.