Chapter Six: The Rider's Origins

Mid 800's CE

Jin's POV

A loud crash caught my attention and I rode as fast as I could... Nanaba please be okay...

I was returning to Utgard castle by horseback when I saw it. A horde of titans were trying to claw their way into Utgard Castle and I could tell Nanaba and Gelgar were hanging on by a thread. I sprung into action using my omni gear and slaughtered as many as I could but it did little to nothing.

Considering I joined the defense later than the two, I had much more gas in reserve compared to the others. I had grown accustomed to fighting titans and even had a knack for it but it was different fighting them at night because it went against everything we've learned about them.

By the time I regrouped with the two, their reserves for gas and blades had all but run out and I was covered in head to toe in a crimson blanket of titan blood.

Jin: Nanaba! Are you guys okay?

Nanaba: Holding on but we're practically running on fumes!

Gelgar: Sorry guys... I don't think I can hang... on.

I watched as Gelgar fell into the horde. Nanaba and I rushed in after but she ran out of gas.

Jin: NANABA!!

I slashed my way to her and by the time I got there she was missing a leg. The blood wouldn't stop flowing so I took her, leaving behind those still stuck in the castle but I wasn't thinking about that at the time.

I reached the ground and to my surprise my horse had found me. I placed Nanaba on the back of my horse and we rode off into the night until we finally reached an old cabin. I did my best to dress her wounds, using my harness as a tourniquet, using a heated blade to cauterize the wound but nothing I did seemed to help.

Nanaba: Jin... I'm sorry...

Jin: No. You're gonna be okay! Remember our promise, if either of us go, we go together!

Nanaba: I think... I'm gonna have to break that promise... I'll go on ahead... for the both of us...

Jin: No, don't give up!

I sat by helplessly for what seemed like hours listening to her labored breathing. Each breath fueled my rage and hatred not only towards titans but towards those who put her in this situation. The sound of a noise outside caught my attention. I grabbed a blade and made my way outside but instead of a titan, a man in a trench coat stood in front of me. In reaction, I readied my blade.

???: Hello there Jin, Jaeger.

Jin: Who the hell are you?

???: My name isn't of any importance.

Jin: What do you want?

???: Hm. Straight to the point I see... I've come to strike a deal with you.

Jin: A deal? What kind of deal?

???: A deal that can save your beloved's life. As well as give you power to avenge her for the wrongs others have done her.

Jin: What is this deal...

???: You simply have to reap souls for me across the span of ten thousand years. That would certainly put me ahead of competition.

Jin: And you can save her?

???: Indeed. Of course you will be granted more power than you could ever fathom. When the service is done you may keep the power but, it would be your job to find her once it is complete.