Chapter Nine: The Sports Festival

Jin stopped Izuku before he took off.

Jin: Son, there's something I'd like for you to remember.

Izuku: Yes dad?

Jin: I know what it's gonna sound like but bare with me... Forgiveness can be something that helps. Even when someone isn't exactly deserving of it, it would help you let go of the past and focus on the future. Even then, it could also help avoid something that you could possibly regret in said future...

Izuku hesitated for a moment, and gave his father a smile.

Izuku entered the locker room wearing his PE uniform as all other students were. He was focusing on the knowledge he gained from his father and to be honest... he was torn on the words of advice his father gave him. He was tuning out the rest of the class as he was lost in his own thoughts until a familiar voice approached him from behind.

Shoto: Izuku.

Izuku refused to answer.

Shoto: Izuku, I know you can hear me. I wanted to let you know... that I'm going to squash you like the bug you are and the bug you've always been.

The Rider: 'Kill him. It would feel so good if you did.'

Izuku almost embraced the Rider's words as if it were his own.

Izuku: Save your breath for the games, you're obviously gonna need it.

Shoto: Oh yeah? And why's that?

Izuku gave a smug smirk and crossed his arms.

Izuku: You're gonna have a hard time keeping up with a speed demon like me.

Kirishima: Alright, enough guys. Threatening each other totally isn't manly at all.

The festival stadium was filled to the brim with spectators and Present Mic had begun his introduction. The students of class 1-A flooded out of the tunnel into the vast stadium's field where they spotted the support course and the business course exiting from other tunnels.

Toshinori and Inko were watching from the faculty's observation box and they kept a close eye on Izumi but another eye on Izuku.

Midnight: Silence everyone! And for the student pledge, we have Zuke Carter!

Everyone looked at Zuke as he made his way up the platform's steps next to Lady Midnight.

Izuku: I want to wish all participating parties good luck.

Izuku grabbed the mic and looked at the classes.

Izuku: This is a warning for each and every one of you if you don't give it your all, I'm gonna run you right over and I'll wear a smile doing it.

Izuku put the mic back as everyone gawked at him with anger and disbelief.

Midnight: Without further ado, it's time for us to get started. First game is what you call a qualifier. This is where you begin feeling the pain. The first fateful game of the festival!

Suddenly a board with a spinning dial appeared behind Midnight and she lifted her whip.

Midnight: What could it be? Tada!

The board showed an obstacle course and Midnight explained the rules.

Midnight: Now then. Take your places, contestants!

Izuku got behind the large group of students and watched as the lights above began to count down from three.

As soon as the third light disappeared, Izuku whistled for his bike and hopped onto it as it blazed past.