ᑭᗩᖇT TᗯO

Barbara pulled on her socks and slipped her feet into the slippers sat at the end of the bed. In the small period of time where she tried to sneak a few snoozes in, she had found herself tossing and turning one too many times than necessary.
A faint beam of sun leaked through the curtains, lighting up the dust which was floating in the air. The girl stared out the window for a moment, eyes squinting in the light. Her alarm clock had sprung to life a fair few minutes ago, and the youngest Holland seemed to be going on a go-slow. Actually, everything seemed to be going that way.
Time, actions, days. Everything seemed slower to Barbara, and she had no idea why.

Deciding it was necessary to show herself to her parents, she slumped over to the door and progressed down the staircase. Each step creaked at a different volume as it collided with each foot, groaning under the weight.
Faint mutters of conversation drifted through the gap under the kitchen door, and having that been her destination, Barbara made an entrance.

Her mother turned around in an instant, her father, less so fast. A grin broke out between the two of them. "Morning sweetie." Mrs Holland wiped the counter, speaking back to her daughter. "Would you like some breakfast?"

Barbara shook her head, finding the rejection of a morning meal more and more common. It was almost like the lack of sleep gave her more time to soak in the air, filling the gap which usually holds food. She knew that wasn't the case, but it was interesting to think that way.

Her mother blinked, sinking slightly as she looked over to her husband. He merely shook his head and busied himself in printed paper. "You've got to eat something, kiddo." He sighed, licking his finger to turn the newspaper.
Barbara stood for a moment, un-focusing her vision slightly. She didn't want to eat, nor join conversation. "I don't think I will this morning, thanks."
The occupants went silent once again as their daughter lifted her arm weakly, examining the arms ticking around the silver base plate of her watch. Half an hour until she needed to leave for school, but feeling the need to get out of there as fast as possible, Barbara pretended to be late. Rushing out into the hallway to grab her satchel, her parents met eyes once again, knowing exactly what the other was thinking.

"Barb, you've got half an hour yet," her mom called. "You've got time."
Their daughter cursed the house clocks for existing, but didn't slow down at their discovery of the situation. "No, I don't, mom. I've got to return some library books before class."

"Okay then, be careful, honey." Mrs Holland rested her hand on her daughters shoulder, face twisted with worry. Barbara forced a pretty convincing smile, and kissed her mother on the cheek. "Don't worry, I will be. Bye dad!"

Mr Holland waved through the kitchen door, biting into a slice of toast. Being a perfect chance to get an extra amount of time out of there, Barbara fled, slamming the door behind. She was free of any interrogation now, and could resume her sluggish behaviour.
Shoulders slumped, the girl wrapped her jacket tighter around her figure, knocking out the frost of the atmosphere.
Even through the walk to Hawkins High was merely twenty minutes away, Barbara couldn't wait for her birthday. Being another year older meant that she could get her very own car and not have to saunter all the way to school in the mornings. She had a bike, but the squeak of the chains in the cold made it unbelievably embarrassing to travel on, as it attracted more attention than one girl could ever need.

Birds circles the skies above, meeting friends and family on power lines or trees as they prepared for the days journey. Barbara liked the idea of having wings, or even the chance just to leave all together. To never settle, never stick in one place.

The concrete underneath her feet was ragged, tufts of grass tickling her ankles at the side of the road. The street was surprisingly barren, apart from the odd student making their way to the hell hole they call school. As much as Barbara valued her education, she wished that she didn't. She could quite happily sit at home, study all day and all night, only pausing briefly for a comfort break. Imagine all the things that could be discovered if people just had a bit more spare time. It was quite a subject to think upon.