Homemade

Later that Afternoon Kelly had taken Victoria to the park to play with the Hermann children. Leaving Marisol and Lily at the house by themselves. They were making some homemade pasta and tomato sauce for dinner that night. 

"So Kelly told me their firehouse needs a paramedic." Marisol was rolling out the pasta dough while Lily was making the sauce.

Lily's ears perked up. "Are you thinking of staying?"

"I'm seriously considering it. The apartment back in Italy has been so empty since you guys left."

"You would be so happy at 51. It's just like back in Italy, that house will become your family. Plus you'll have Victoria and me." Lily said with a smile on her face.

"I'll need to go back and tie up some loose ends."

That's when Lily got a bright idea. "How about I have Kelly watch Victoria then you and me go back to Italy handle what needs to be handled? Can be a girls trip."

"Let's do it! I need something new."

Lily was shocked she thought she was going to have to push a lot hard to get her to stay. "really?"

Marisol laughed. "Yes really."

"OMG yes!!!!" Lily started jumping up and down with excitement making Marisol laugh. "How about we go after Kelly's next shift? Which will give you a chance to talk to Chief Boden and see about getting on with the CFD."

"Sounds perfect."

The girls continued to talk while they finished cooking dinner. Lily had texted Kelly when dinner was almost ready so they could head home.

Kelly and Victoria arrived back home just as Marisol had finished placing the last dish on the table. "That smells amazing."

"It's Marisol's grandmothers pasta and sauce recipe." Lily placed three wine glasses and a cup for Victoria on the table. "You two go wash up."

"Yes ma'am." Kelly and Victoria headed to the downstairs bathroom to wash their hands so they could enjoy dinner.

***

Later that evening Kelly and Lily were in their room laying down watching a movie.  Lily had her head laying on Kelly's chest.

"So I think Marisol is staying."

"That's great. I think having her around will be good for Victoria and you. Does she want to talk to Boden?" Kelly was pretty happy to have Marisol stay in Chicago.

"Yes. We were gonna stop by tomorrow and talk to him. Cindy is picking Victoria up in the morning for a play date for the girls."

"I'll give him a heads up."

"Thanks Kelly."

"Anything for my girls." Kelly placed a kiss to the top of Lily's head. "I'm guessing she will have to go back to Italy for a few days."

"Yes and uh... uh I was going to go with her if you don't mind watching Victoria." Lily was afraid Kelly would say no.

"Of course. Victoria is my daughter too. Babe you never had to ask me to watch her. If you need to go do something just tell me and I'll make sure Victoria is taken care of."

Lily couldn't help but to start crying. Kelly was seriously the most sweetest, kindest man she has ever met.

"Babe what's wrong?" Kelly thought he had done or said something wrong.

"Nothing Kel. I am just so happy and lucky to call you mine. I love you."

Kelly tightens his grip on Lily. "I love you too. Forever and always."

"Forever and always."

They finished their movie and then drifted off to sleep.

***

Next Day

Lily had pulled up in front of Firehouse 51  so Marisol could go talk to the Chief. The girls had also brought ingredients to make homemade lasagna for the house.

Lily and Marisol grabbed the grocery bags from the back of Lily's Jeep Grand Cherokee. They then made their way up the firehouse driveway and onto the apparatus floor.

Lily spotted Kelly sitting at the squad table. Cruz saw them coming so he got Kelly's attention. "Lieutenant." Kelly looked at Cruz as he motioned to look behind him.

Kelly turned around to the see girls walking in. "Hey babe." Kelly got up and grabbed the grocery bag she was carrying. "Hey Marisol. Chief should be in his office."

"Perfect. Thank you Kelly." Cruz had gotten up also and grabbed the bags Marisol had so she could go talk to the Chief. Kelly, Lily, and Cruz made their way into the kitchen so they could sit the items down.

Being back on 51 was a bit overwhelming for Lily. She had been avoiding the firehouse ever since she got back to many memories and knowing Shay wouldn't walk around the corner was heartbreaking.

Kelly grabbed Lily's hand. "I want to show you something."

Lily nodded and followed Kelly back out onto the apparatus floor. He was leading her over towards 61, the ambulance were Shay had taught her everything she knows. The ambulance where the two of them spent so much time and made so many memories.

Kelly takes her over to the drivers side door. Underneath the window reads Leslie Elizabeth Shay 1978-2014. The ceremony happened during the time when Lily wouldn't even get out of bed so she never knew about it.

Lily stepped forward and ran her fingers across Shays name. Lily didn't know what it was but as her fingers grazed the cold metal of the ambulance door she felt her heart split in two. The sudden wave of grief sent Lily to her knees on the apparatus floor.

Kelly had managed to catch her to keep her from crashing too hard. Lily was now on her knees bent over sobbing. It was as if seeing Shays name on the door made it finally set in that she was gone.

Everyone in the firehouse could her Lily crying so they all came out to the apparatus floor to see what was going on. Marisol and Matt both went over got down next to Lily and Kelly trying to comfort her the best they could.

Lily was always so busy taking care of everyone else and then Connor died, that she had never really gotten the chance to grieve for Shay. Everyone stood on the apparatus floor while they watched someone they considered a sister, a daughter, and a friend grieve for someone who had changed all of their lives.