Shield

Casey entered Chicago med and starts to look around. Lights were flickering as he made his way further into the hospital. "Gabby!" As Casey continued to walk he came to area completely blocked except for a set of stairs.

Casey ascended the stairs and began calling for Gabby again. Still no response. "Damnit Gabby where are you." Casey has to continue going up the stairs as all the doors he reaches are blocked by debris.

Casey makes it to the fourth floor and finally finds a door he can get through. He makes his way down the hallway looking for Gabby.

"Gabby!" Casey was becoming more and more concerned with each passing moment.

"Matt?" Gabby comes from around a corner.

Casey breaths a sigh of relief. "There you are. Come on we gotta get out of here." Casey walks forward taking her hand to start walking her out of the hospital.

Gabby didn't move. "Matt no. The daycare. They are all stuck."

"Show me."

Gabby leads Matt over to the daycare door and it is completely blocked by concrete. "There is no other way in. I've been trying."

Matt clicks the button on his radio. "Cruz what's your location?"

"We are stuck on the second floor lieutenant."

"Make your way back outside. Find Burges have her show you where she took me to get in. Go to the end of the hall and climb the stairs. Gabby and me are at the daycare door."

"On our way Lieutenant."

"Cruz bring some saws and hammers."

"Copy lieutenant."

It took about 10 minutes before squad finally reached Casey and Dawson. "Lieutenant!"

"Cruz the door is blocked. We need to remove the concrete and fast." Casey takes a hammer from Cruz.

"let's do this." Cruz and Casey get to work on the pile of concrete in front of the door.

"Hey Dawson." Capp hands her a helmet and coat.

"Thanks Capp." Dawson takes the items and slips them on. They all then take turns clearing the concrete and make their way into the daycare.

As they step into the daycare they can see tables overturns and toys everywhere. "Fire department call out!"

"Over here!" A female voice shouts out.

The crew makes there way to the voice and finds the two teachers huddled up with the kids. Gabby sees Victoria and scoops her up. "We are going to get you guys out of here."

Cruz hops on his radio knowing Kelly would want to know the good news. "Severide we have Victoria and she is fine. Find Lily and bring her home."

***

Hermann finally catches up to Severide. Kelly is turning every stone over looking for her. "Severide."

"Hermann??" Kelly was caught off by guard by Hermann joining him.

"Casey sent me after you to make sure you don't do anything stupid." Kelly nods his head and they begin to search. As they find casualties they make sure to mark where people are. It seemed like everyone they found was already dead.

Kelly was beginning to lose hope but then he sees a figure coming down the hallway. "Lily?!" Kelly heads towards the person only to realize it's her brother. "Connor?"

Connor is relieved to find Kelly. "I found Lily she is on the third floor. She has rebar stuck in her leg and lower back and is bleeding bad. We need to get her out and fast."

Kelly can see the sense of urgency in Connors eyes. If Conor was concerned he knew it was bad. "Hermann go get me a saw!"

"You got it lieutenant!" Hermann runs back outside to get the saw.

"Take me too her."

Kelly follows Connor up to the third floor and to where Lily was laying. Connor wasn't lying when he said she was bleeding bad. All around her body was a shallow pool of blood and her skin was pale.

"Lily?"

No response.

"Lily baby. Please open your eyes." Kelly picks up her hand and squeezes it while Connor is feeling for a pulse.

"Her pulse is faint. We need to get her out of here and fast."

"Hermann what's your ETA?"

"3 minutes lieutenant."

"Move as fast as you can." Kelly is trying not to cry. He wasn't ready to say goodbye to Lily. Not yet.

"She loves you. A lot." Connor is looking down at his sisters face covered in concrete dust. "In Italy she always asked about you. She always wanted to know you were safe. I've never seen her happier than when she is with you."

"I love her."

"I know you do. And she loves you. I'm glad to know you are always around protecting her." Connor was finally accepting that Lily wasn't always going to need her big brother around. Not as long as she had Kelly Severide by her side.

"I'm not going anywhere. I promise you Connor. I am not letting her go again."

Hermann appears a few minutes later carrying the saw. "Here lieutenant."

Kelly takes the saw and then takes off his jacket. "Shield her with this Connor."

The men get into position. Connor helping shield Lily from any sparks. Hermann was helping Kelly keep the rebar cool as he sawed through it. "Here we go." Kelly starts to cut through the piece in her leg.

Kelly just turns the saw off when he hears Cruz come over the radio saying they have Victoria and too find Lily.

Kelly feels a sense of relief knowing Victoria is safe. "I have Lily. We are cutting some rebar and then will be bringing her out. She doesn't look good." Kelly gets into position to start on the next piece.

Suddenly Chief Boden's rough voice came over the radio. "There has been a second bomb located. No time to evacuate. Take cover. You have 30 seconds."

Kelly, Connor, and Herman share a look before they start to take cover and shield Lily from whatever was about to happen.

***

Casey just heard Boden's voice come over the radio. The firefighters quickly take action to shield the kids and the teachers in preparation for the next explosion.

5
4
3
2
1....