Not A Rhodes

It had been about a month since Marisol had talked to Chief Boden about joining the CFD. During her meeting with the Chief he wanted her to see what being a paramedic would be like in Chicago. He wanted her to be sure of her decision.

Marisol worked a few shifts with Brett and absolutely fell in love with the work. And then there was also Sarah from the donut shop that Marisol couldn't stop texting. Lily loved seeing her best friend happy and moving to Chicago.

The girls were leaving for Italy next week to tie up any loose ends Marisol had. But in the meantime Kelly, Lily, and Marisol were sitting one the living room floor playing with Victoria. Everyone was laughing and having a good time when the doorbell started going off.

Lily got up off the floor and opened the door. To her surprise it was someone she had known a long time ago. "Joseph?"

"Lily it's so good to see you." The two of them share a hug and then Joseph enters the house.

Kelly looked at the mysterious man who had just entered their home. "Lily, whose this?" Kelly was still laying on the floor playing with Victoria.

Lily turned to look at Kelly. "Uh this is Joseph. He's the attorney for the Rhodes family."

Kelly got up to shake the older gentleman's hand. "Kelly Severide"

"Nice to finally meet you Mr. Severide."

"Not that I'm not happy to see you Joe but is there a reason for your visit?" Lily asked.

"Yes there is." He held up a legal sized envelope. "We need to sit down and talk."

Lily looked over her shoulder at Marisol. "Can you take Victoria upstairs to play?"

"Yeah sure thing." Marisol stood up. "Come on V let's go play princesses upstairs."

"Okay!" Victoria took Marisol's out reached hand and they headed upstairs.

Lily, Kelly, and Joe sat down in the living room to see why Joe had stopped by.

"So Connor came to me about 2 weeks after you came back from Italy. He wanted to change his will and the Rhodes estate."

Lily was looking at Joseph curiously. "Okay?"

Joseph opened the envelope and pulled out a stack of papers. "Claire and Connor both signed the Rhodes Estate over to you in the event that Connor would of passed away. Claire only asked for a monthly allowance which is in these documents. I already set up the bank account for it and reoccurring transfers into her account."

Lily took the documents from Joes hands. She began to look them over. "The entire estate?"

"Yes. Plus you are the beneficiary of Connor's life insurance. This also means you own Dolan Rhodes Department store."

Lily was flipping through the pages trying to make sense of all the legal mumble jumble. "Why did this take so long?"

"With the way Connor died there was a bunch of questions and making sure all of Connors debts were paid and that all the documents were legal. A judge finally signed off on it this morning. All I need is you to signed the last page and I'll begin having everything transferred into your name."

Lily was in shock. She grew up without anything because her mother and her were hiding from her father. But now she was going to have more money and assets than she would know what to do with. "You're gonna still help me manage all of this right Joe?"

"Of course. I'd be more than happy too."

"Do you have a pen?"

"Of course I do." Joseph pulled out a pen and handed it to Lily. "Last page."

Lily flipped to the last page and saw the blank line where her signature was supposed to go. She hovered the pen over the spot for a moment before pressing down and signing her name.

Joseph smiled. "Congratulations Lily. Connor wanted to make sure Victoria and you were taken care of."

Lily was trying to smile. "Thank you Joe."

"Of course dear." He then pulled out a second copy of the legal paperwork she just signed, plus a sheet with all sorts of names and phone numbers. "Here is your copy plus phone numbers for my office, your personal pilot, house cleaner, and all sorts of other people who the Rhodes constantly used."

Lily took the paperwork and then stood up with Joseph and hugged him. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

When Lily pulled away from their hug she thought of something she wanted to do. "I want to donate some money to help rebuild Chicago Med."

Joe smiled. "I'll call Mrs. Goodwin and get the ball rolling."

"Thank you."

Kelly and Joe shook hands once more before walking Joe to the door and saying goodbye. After he left Lily closed the door and leaned against it. The reality of everything was starting to set in.

"Babe are you okay?"

"I... I honestly don't know." Lily was frozen in her spot against the door.

"Come sit down on the couch." Kelly grabbed Lily's hand and led her over to the couch and had her sit down.

Marisol had heard Joe leave so she put a movie on for Victoria and then came downstairs to see what was going on. When she hit the living room floor Lily and Kelly were sitting on the couch.

"Lil you okay?" Marisol walked around to the front of the couch and could see Lily was in shock. Marisol sat down on the coffee table right in front of Lily. "Kelly what happened?"

Kelly had an arm wrapped around Lily's shoulders. "Connor made it so she inherited the entire Rhodes estate if something were to happen to him plus she is the beneficiary of his life insurance."

Marisol knew exactly what Lily was thinking. "Lily look at me." Lily looked up from the ground and looked at her best friend. "I know how much you would rather have Connor here than his money but that's not reality. Connor made sure you would never have to worry about money and that Victoria and you were taken care of."

Lily could feel the tears starting to sting the corners of her eyes. "He was always taking care of me. Making sure I was okay." Lily's lip was quivering as she spoke and then the tears started to roll down her face.

Kelly pulled Lily into his side and held her close. Marisol got up and sat on the other side of Lily and wrapped her arms around her as well. "It's all going to be okay. You've got me, Kelly, Victoria, and all of 51 here to make sure you are okay."

The three of them sat there and let Lily get all of her tears out and comfort her the best they could. Lily would always much rather Connor be there instead but she knew that was not possible. But it still hurt to think how Connor was never going to walk back through her front door.