Chicago I'm Coming Home

Lily was sitting on her flight back to Chicago. Casey had called her yesterday and told her some news she wish she could forget.

1 day earlier

Lily was sitting on her bed drawing in her notebook when her phone started to ring. She picked it up and saw an area code that was from Chicago. Lily took a deep breath and answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Lily? Lily Jacobs?"

The voice sounded familiar to her but she couldn't place it. "Yes?"

"It's Matt. Matthew Casey from firehouse 51."

Lily felt her heart drop to her stomach. She hadn't expected anyone from 51 to call. This couldn't be good. "Hey Matt. How are you?"

"I'm doing alright. You?"

"Not too bad. Is there a reason you called me?" Lily was trying to control her breathing because she felt herself starting to have a panic attack.

"Uh yeah there is..." Lily could hear Matt take a shaky breath. "It's about Shay and Kelly."

Lily felt like she was going to be sick. "What happened?" Lily was trying to control her breathing but it was becoming increasingly harder.

Matt took another shaky breath. "Shay got hit by a beam when trying to treat a victim..." Matt took another breath. "There was an explosion and...She's gone Lily. Shay didn't make it." Matt's voice cracked. Shay was a huge part of 51 and it was hard to accept she was gone.

Lily started to cry her heartbreaking into a thousand little pieces. She sniffled and asked "And Kelly?" Lily was preparing herself for the worst. She still loved that man after all these years. Lily took hold of the necklace Kelly had given her.

"He's taking it really hard. He hasn't returned to work and I'm seriously worried about him. He's been at his dads cabin and won't leave."

Lily didn't respond she just sat in silence thinking. Was it time to go home? Was it time to face Chicago? Would Kelly even want to see her? No matter what she had to try. "I'll be on the next flight to Chicago."

"You don't have too Lily. I just wanted to call and tell you."

"I'm coming Matt even if it's just a short trip and to knock some sense into Kelly."

"Thank You Lily."

"I'll see what I can do Matt but he may not want to see me or I may make things worse."

"I know I understand. Stop by 51 when your in town?"

"Of course. See you soon Matt."

Lily ended the phone call and started to pack a bag. Lily exited her room and told her roommate Marisol that she maybe gone for a while and that she was going back to Chicago.

Present Day

Lily's flight started to make it's decent to the ground meaning she would soon be back in Chicago. The plane landed pulling into the gate. Lily grabbed her carry on bag and disembarked the plane.

When she got off the plane and started heading for baggage claim that's when she noticed Matt was waiting for her. "You didn't have to come get me."

"Of course I did." Matt helped her grab her bags and head out to his truck. Lily hopped in while he placed her bags in the bed. Matt got into the drivers seat and headed away from the airport.

"Thank you for picking me up Matt. I know we were never close but I appreciate the phone call." 

"Of course. Connor dropped off a car at my place for you to drive around. He said you better have dinner with him and Claire while you are here."

Lily chuckled a little. "I will. But first I need to see Kelly."

They arrived at Matt's house. There was a Mercedes Benz AMG- GT sitting outside. Lily rolled her eyes, of course her brother would bring her something fast and expensive.

Matt helped Lily take her bags inside and placed them in the guest room. He then handed her the keys to the Mercedes. "I'll let you know how things go." Lily took the keys from Matt and gave him a hug.

"Thank You Lily. I hope you can help him." Lily nodded.

Lily walked out of Matt's house and climbed into the car heading for the Cabin. Lily was a nervous reck the whole way to the cabin. She was gripping the steering wheel so tight her knuckles were turning a pale white.

Lily pulled up the drive to the cabin. That's when she saw him. Kelly standing outside chopping wood. Lily felt her heart jump up into her throat. Causing anything she had made a mental note of left her mind. Kelly Severide still made her feel like a teenage school girl.

Kelly's back was towards the driveway so he didn't know who had shown up. Without turning around he spoke when he heard the car door close. "I told you yesterday Casey I'm not coming back." Kelly raised the ax and slammed it down on the wood that was in front of him, causing Lily to Jump.

Lily took a deep breath, she had been planning out what she was going to say the whole drive but now all those plans had escaped her. "Kelly." His name was the only word she could get out.

Kelly froze dropping the ax by his side. He slowly turned around to see who had shown up. Kelly thought for sure his eyes were playing a trick on him. "Lily?"

"Hey." Lily stood there taking in Kelly's appearance. His face was scruffy and looked like he hadn't shaved in weeks. His eyes had dark circles underneath signaling he hadn't been sleeping very well.

"What... What are you doing here?" Kelly was stumbling over his words as he realized she was really there.

"Matt called me and told me about Shay and how you weren't doing so well. I came to see you." Lily was playing with her hands nervous as she waited to see how Kelly was going to react.

"Well you saw me. I'm fine so you can go back to wherever you have been." Kelly tuned around and picked up the AX again. The next blow he delivered to the piece of wood in front of him was full of anger and hurt sending the wood in several directions.

Lily took a deep breath and began walking closer to Kelly. She placed a hand on his shoulder causing him to stop and look at her. Lily saw the tears in his eyes. Kelly was far from being okay.

Neither of them speaking. Lily takes the AX from Kelly's hand and lays it down. She embraces him in a hug and feels him starting to sob. Lily could feel her shirt becoming wet from Kelly's tears but she didn't care. She had her own tears streaming down her face. She knew he needed this. He needed her.