Chapter 26

Surprise shawty a new POV.

Derick's POV

"Happy Birthday."

Then Kat falls.

I move to catch her and seeing a dagger sticking out of her chest, it's impaled in her heart. Silver hitting her heart, a vamp's weak spot, means she'll be dead in minutes.

I hear Amy scream falling to the ground, crying. This springs everyone into action, Mr. Cadman charges the boy. Holding him by the throat slightly strangling him, his eyes are glowing a angry red snarling with his fangs out. Showing everyone in the class what he is, I don't think he cares anymore. I hear something snap, and a body hits the floor.

I assume Mr.Cadman has broken the boy's neck, his head now laying at an odd angle. I don't see any of it I only hear the snap and body falling, my attention is completely focused on Kat dying in my arms.

I let out a painful yell, letting the tears I don't even try to hold back fall. To many people's shock I'm sure, I've made my hate for Kat well know around the school. I can't help it, I've loved Kat since before I knew what love was.

The first time I saw her I was enraptured. She had the pretties brownish-red hair and her eyes reminded me of the clear waters back in Italy. She was tough and strong, even back then.

My family was, and is, best known for being werewolves who use our gifts to fight in close combat. The best hunter family in hand to hand combat.

When my older brothers Oliver and Shane and older sister Iris abdicated the family seat at a young age, my family thought it would be good for me to have a match with the Lovedock's possible heir.

Even if the Lovedock seat in the past had been very conservative. The current seat David Lovedock, Kat's father, was not. He agreed that we could have a round of supervised sparing.

Within 3 minutes she had me on my back, my scrawny seven year old ass got beat by a girl that's a third of my size.

I was pissed, so I trained. I trained for years and when I finally felt ready enough to fight her again, she disappeared. No one knew where her or her parents went, I found out later that they were attacked by a vampire and assumed dead. Imagine my surprise five years later, when I saw Kat in my mandatory creature meeting. Just standing there, alive and well.

I didn't know what to think so I just said her name, and she said mine the same way she had done back then. I knew it was her and this was my chance to finally show her I could fight better then she remembered.

Instead she floored my ass even faster then last time, with an unnatural amount of speed and strength.

When she told me what she was, and how it happened. I was pissed, so pissed I had to fain lack of interest so I didn't go and rip her grandfather's throat out with my claws. I went home that day and punched a hole through a solid steel post. At first I didn't know why I was so angry, then it hit me.

I was angry at that vamp for turning the strong girl I knew, turning her into something I knew she hates. I was angry because she almost died.

For the next two weeks, I did nothing but call her names and make fun of what she was. Then one day I didn't see her anywhere in the school, I didn't smell her either. After a week I had enough of wonder, the next Wednesday meeting I asked Mr.Cadman where she was. He didn't tell me, but from the look in his eyes I could tell it was nothing good.

Next thing I know the school got attacked, I didn't know if she was there but if she was I had to find her. I took a risk and found her smell instantly, roses and steel. I ran towards it as fast as I could, because all around her I smelt blood. I was so scared she got hurt, so scared I had lost her. I ran around a corner and there she was.

Alive and well coated in monster blood, most likely from a creature she had just killed. I was so relived I wanted to hug her, but I didn't know how she would take that. So I didn't.

Later in Mr.Cadman's class she started calling me names like normal, taking a step towards me in challenge. I couldn't not meet her challenge. Before I knew it I was inches away from her, she then looked at my lips and something in her gaze changed.

I felt it then, a spark. A spark telling me that maybe, just maybe she felt the way I do. It was in that moment I understood why I did what I did, why I acted the way I did towards her.

I was in love with her, had been since I was seven when she floored me in less then five minutes.

Now I'm holding the person I love most in the world in my arms, moments away from her death, and she'll never know how I feel. All I can do is cry and hold her too me for as long as I can, before she turns to dust. The only thing I'll have left of her, is her ashes. I'll never be able to smell her unique combination of sweet roses and strong steel, my favorite smell again.

"I can't lose you." I whisper to her, my tears falling freely from my eyes onto her cheeks.

I promise, if you die. I'll kill that son of a bitch grandfather of yours. Even if it kills me.

—————————————————————————————————

This is my favorite Derina scene, Ik messed up. I've always loved stories where the guy fell for the girl first, but didn't realize it til later/when one of them is dying.

So, I wrote one.

Also, while I was writing this and listening to my liked songs on shuffle a couple chapters back Before You Go came on, and my exact thoughts were:

"This. This is how Derick feels."

This basically describes, not only this scene, but their relationship as a whole and I had it playing on repeat the entire time I wrote and edited this chapter. (Like I do with all the songs I put on chapters, to see if the vibe matches what I'm writing.)

Also don't worry, this is not where the story ends.

Not even close to the end.

-Kate