Chapter 5

After I leave my Uncle's class I quickly stop my locker to drop off my helmet, and look to see what my next class is.

         Second hour:    Algebra III        D. Brown        207

I look around trying to find 207, before a African American human girl who has big round glasses, big curly brown hair, and green eyes takes pity on me and asks in a light voice with a slight, almost imperceptible southern accent "Do you need help?"

I chuckle "Is it that obvious?"

"Not exactly, I just know what everyone looks like in this school. Small school and all, and I've never seen you before so I assumed you may be new."

"Yea I am. Do you know where room 207 is with a Mr.-"

"Brown, yes I'm heading there right now. We better hurry tho, he has a not tarty policy. I'm Amy by the way, Amy Charles." She says as the warning bell rings out.

"Katrina Lovedock, but you can call me Kat."

She abruptly stops, almost making run into her. Thankfully I have incredible reflexes, and stop myself just before hitting her.

"Did you say Lovedock?" She asks with a startled expression on her face.

"Yes, I did and before you ask. Yes that means I hunt monsters, Yes I've killed some, and No, you can't come to the family house." I'm not even allowed in anymore, at least not if I want to stay alive. I silently add.

She looks at me like I'm some kind of hero before, literally shaking her head, making her large curly hair go in every direction and letting her glasses slip down her nose a little.

"Okay," She says adjusting her glasses back up her nose. "Your not the first hunter in this school and you probably won't be the last. It just I've never met someone from one of the big name hunter families before."

"And I've never met someone with quite as curly hair as you, first time for everything I guess." I respond and she lightly chuckles before saying.

"I like you, why don't we head to Algebra and you can meet the amazing Mr. Brown." She says with a big of sarcasm on 'amazing'.

Amy leads me down a short hallway to my left and to room 207 with a Mr. D. Brown, and just before I step into the classroom the tarty bell rings.

"That's a tarty Miss......" Says a teacher with a voice that sounds like nails on a chalkboard to my ears its so nasally. I have to resist the urge to cover my ears and wince.

He has slightly olive skin, that is covered in wrinkles, thinning grey hair that used to be black, and small bird like eyes. He's wearing a black button down that does little to hide his skinny frame, dark drown slacks and black dress shoes.

"Miss. Lovedock, just transferred." I reply rubbing just below my ears.

"Is there a problem?" He asks sharply and this time I do wince.

Before I can think about what I'm going to say, I respond "Yea, your voice."

I quickly cover my mouth and realize what I just said, Mr. Brown's face turns a red that reminds me of a tomato. While half the students in the room look shocked I said that, and the other half trying to hold back from laughing. Amy, somehow, belongs to both sides shocked and trying not to laugh.

"Well, considering its to late to switch classes you'll just have to deal with it. Why don't you take a seat by the window." He says gesturing to a seat in the front row by the window.

"Actually can I si-" I start to say, but Mr.Brown looks at me in a way that says there is not room for arguing about my seating argument.

Okay then, I think and take my seat by the window. The only problem with this is that after about 10 minutes in direct sunlight, I get a massive headache that makes it hard to focus on anything other then the throbbing pain in my head. While i'm not horrible at math it is easily my worst subject.
*
After the bell rings to release us to third period, I get out of that class as quickly as possible but I am stopped by Mr. Brown. He hands me a pink tarty slip, I look it over and notice two infractions against me.

Tarty and Dress Code violation.

I look it over one more time and look at Mr.Brown and ask "Dress Code violation?"

"Your not wearing your uniform." He says back to me

"Pardon, a uniform?" Mr. Brown gestures for me to look around the room and for the first time, I see everyone is indeed wearing a uniform.

A simple white button down, with a striped gold and black tie. A skirt in the same colors in plaid for girls and pair of black pants for the guys. While some of the students seem to be wearing a blazer with the school's mascot embroidered at the breast pocket, others seem to be wearing jackets or just the shirt and tie.

"Oh I didn't realize I needed one.Do you know where I can get one?"

Mr.Brown roles his eyes like I just asked the stupidest question he could think of. You never needed to wear one in night class, so how was I supposed to know that. I want to say to him, but he doesn't teach any night classes so I don't won't to bring it up.

"You can get on in the office or in the counselor's office. I suggest you go there as soon as possible to avoid..........this" He says gesturing to my outfit like it murdered his entire family, which at the moment I'm not totally opposed to. As I leave class, I take a deep camping breath to reign in my anger and find Amy waiting for me outside the door.

"What took you so long? Luckily I have a free hour so I don't have to be anywhere, but still." She says with a look of concern in eyes.

"Got a tarty pink slip. Oh and one for not having my uniform, which I didn't know I needed." I say annoyed

Amy laughs a little "Did they not send you an email asking for your size, so they could order you a uniform or two."

Shit. They probably assumed that because my Uncle works here, and I went to night class, that I knew about the uniforms. The only problem with that is my Uncle has the memory of a goldfish when it comes to stuff like this.

"Must've gotten sent to junk mail," I say "Do you think we can head to the office or counselor's to get me an uniform then?" I ask.

"Sure thing, but we should probably check in with your next hour. To make sure it's okay that we make a pit stop and get you changed."

I look down and my schedule and notice that my next hour is also free.

"Looks like mines free to, so we make a quick pit stop no problem." Amy let's out a small squeal that would normally annoy me if anyone else did that, but I'm quickly coming to realize that I like Amy.

Maybe we can even be frie- NO that can't happen and you know why. She may not look it, but if she finds out what you are she'll kill you without hesitation. If she doesn't kill you, you'll kill her......one way or another.

————————————————————————————————

Hope you enjoyed the extra long chapter. Let me know what you think of Amy so far.

-Kate :)