Chapter Twenty Four | Zalga

Maliki's pov.

Two days left. Two days before my deadline is up. I breezed through Colorado, and the 20 or so miles Lucky Springs is from the border, and I'm just pulling into the city. The sights, the smells, the weather, all the same. Gloomy and dark, barely any sunlight seeping in through the clouds... but they were here, and I was going to save them.

Zalga's pov.

"Lady Zalga! Lady Zalga! Maliki has entered the city!" Scarecrow shouts, running down the steps.

"I'm well aware of that, dear." I say, sharpening my swords.

I've anticipated his arrival. It took him long enough. It was almost time for dinner... a wicked smile filled my face as I figured out my next move.

"Set the table with restraint chairs, each for the girls in the basement. Maliki will walk in on our family enjoying dinner, no doubt. It is time to be civil with the boy. I think he's been through enough... and so have the girls." Zalga says, testing the sharpness of the swords.

"Yes Ma'am." The Scarecrow says.

"Send the Painter after him, and have her bring him here. No doubt he will be looking around the city, trying to capture an idea of where I am." Zalga adds, sheathing her swords.

"Yes, Ms. Zalga." Scarecrow says before walking away.

Maliki's pov.

I still didn't know for sure where the portal was, but I had an idea of where it might be. The distorted text inside the thrift store days ago read something about the beginning. That has stumped me for the entire journey, but I have an idea.

The birthplace doesn't mean like a hospital or an emergency room. It has to be a metaphor... a metaphor of my birth... my Birth... my rebirth... my growth into what I am today. My first step into what I am today. The fateful day Jane and Jess brought me into the family. The only true family I've ever really had. The day I broke bryce's skull, and unleashed the devil that I am now. I had to return to school.

Parking my car in the parking lot of the building, I exhale deeply before getting out. I know either no one will recognize me, or even if they do, they'll be terrified. Too terrified to speak maybe. They won't even dare step in my way, and if one gets cocky, they're just another insect In my way.

Walking up to the building, I feel helpless. A place I had thought of as a prison was now right in front of me again. I shoved my feelings to the side and pushed through the doors of the school and walked in. Right in front of my eyes was a large picture of Bryce and his mother, with the words "In Memory" on a plaque underneath them. I rolled my eyes and continued walking down the hallway, passing some familiar faces and some I didn't recognize. Some people looked back with a horrified expression before turning and practically running away. I didn't chase them. I wasn't here for them, after all. I stormed into the cafeteria, and saw the oval shaped ring of blackness in the center. The portal to Zalga's realm. I was here.

"Excise me young man, where is your student ID?" A man said grabbing my chest and pulling me back into the hallway.

"Don't touch me." I say pushing him away and trying to continue.

He pulled me back.

"Would you like to have a chat in the principals office?" The man said grabbing my arm and pulling me away.

I extended my blade and plunged it into the man's chest, pushing him away from me. He fell like a rock and held his chest, trying to speak. I walked over and put my foot against his chest, crushing him.

"You should have stayed out of my way." I say, turning the locking mechanism and pulling the blade back into its guard.

I crushed his chest, hearing bones pop and snap before my shoe was covered in his blood.

Students screamed and panicked in the lunch room as they watched my art preformed right in front of them... except one. A taller girl with a mask on her face, and and blood stained on her shirt. She stood in front of the portal... no... she was inside it. I was in for a fight.

She ram through the portal and swung a knife at me. I blocked her arms and grabbed her hair, slamming her face into the doorway as I ran for the portal.

She grabbed me and shoved me to the ground, pinning me, holding the knife to my neck.

"Shhh." She whispered, but I extended my blade and shoved it through her neck.

Her eyes opened widely through the slits on the mask as she pulled the knife back and got off of me, holding my stab wound. I scrambled backwards out of her reach as she laid on the floor, blood seeping out of her.

"God damn." I say attempting to stand.

My sense of balance was gone. The world immediately got progressively more and more distorted as I attempted to walk towards the portal until...

Zalga's pov.

I look down at the table, slenda and her girls are sitting down restrained and gagged. I wanted them to watch as I broke their boys mind, making him my slave. That's when the painter walked through the door, tugging a boy behind her. It was him.

"Ah, there he is. Hurry up, let's get him in a chair." I say walking over and clicking the metal restrains onto his wrists and neck.

"He is a fighter all right. He got me good." She said lifting her head up to show a long slice on her neck.

"Oh, god. How did he manage to do that?" I ask.

"He must've dropped the knife or used a broken piece of glass. Either way I couldn't find the weapon he had used. I was Too busy faking my own death while the poison took effect." The painter said.

"I see. Well, take your seat at the table and we'll wait for him to recover." I say walking back to my chair and sitting down.

We sit patiently as the boy takes just a few minutes to wake up.

He slowly opens his eyes and looks at the restraints on his arms, and up towards me. Hie eyes glaze over with unfamiliarity, until he notices the women He's come all this way for tied up and gagged sitting right next to him. His eyes narrow as he puts the pieces together.

"Zalga?" He asked, his voice softer than I had imagined.

"Yes, dear boy. The one and only queen of chaos." I said, nodding slowly.

Some of the girls peek up, their eyes widening as they see him. They try to speak but the gag muffles the words.

"Well in that case..." he said, some sort of smog escaping his maw.

"Let's dance." Maliki added.