Brotherly Love

Chaper 16 : The news

I started to cough more. My skin didn't seem the same. I would always sweat even when the A/c was on the lowest. I was starting to think something bad was going on.

Right now I am seated on a hospital bed awaiting the results to the few test that I have took these past two weeks. Caleeb was next to me , holding tightly onto my hand as my mom was seated to the left drifting off slowly to sleep.

"Everything will be fine Hope". Caleeb said to me for what seems like the hundreth time. Every few seconds would pass by and he would slowly and gently place a soft kiss upon my cheek. It seems as if he was more scared for the results as I was.

"I know baby". I reply to him barely above a whisper. My palms began to sweat again. I was too nervous to the point were my lips started to shake.

But this wasn't the problem. The real problem was I wasn't cold. I was scared to hear the results to the many test that took place. The way the doctor sounded on the phone. And that she also said to get to the hospital as soon as possible. I mean that couldn't mean anything good right ?.

I heard the knob on the door open and we all jumped up to see my doctor standing with a blank expression on her face. Scared? that was not the word right now to express my feelings. Caleeb's grip on my hand became tighter.

"So doc ? , everything's good right ?". Caleeb said with a smirk on his face.

Deep down I knew he was trying hard to be strong. To actually show me that nothing was truly wrong and we would walk out of here together like a normal happy family would. But that wasn't the case. Both my body and I knew something terrible was wrong. And by the look on the doctor's face , Made it more assuring.

"Hey guys". She said in a simple voice."My name is doctor chang".

"Nice to meet you doctor chang , I'm Hope's mother".

She places a few X-rays on a white board that was in front of us."During the test Hope , we found a larger tumor inside of your lungs". She explains to us with sadness in her eyes.

Tumor ? what the hell was a tumor , why was this happening ?. Caleeb face was rock solid , he had zero expressions running across his face. My mother's eyes started to fill up with tears.

"Is there anything she can do ? , to like stop it or maintain it or something ?". Caleeb asked his voice breaking.

"She will need plenty of rest and to start doing treatments so she can live longer , I give her up to 3 years the most , including long treatments and many pills". She explains to Caleeb while looking at me from now and again.

"Will there be pain ?". I ask her with single droplets of tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Yes , a lot but with the support of your family and friends you will be okay".She answered taking down the X-rays off the white board .

That's not what I meant. I wanted to know will I feel more pain than I'm feeling right now. My heart was broken to see that my family will have to go through this.

Cancer? , Something I never really thought about or even knew about. Much less than to have it with me till I die.

*~*

The ride home was quiet. No one spoke as we drove over the bridge on our way home. I looked out the window to the beautiful scenary.

It was indeed amazing to know in a few months I would no longer be enjoying this. I wipe the tears that keep on falling.

"Need anything to eat on the road?". My mom turns to ask me in the passengers seat.

"Does it matter?". I answer her in a harsh tone voice. I mean I would be dying soon and what reason is there for me to let them waste money on a dying child. Maybe I shouldn't even be born.