Chapter 38 (Snow)

When the grey-blue smoke clears away I see we are no longer in Oz, but in our castle, specifically Williams bedroom quarters in his bed chamber.

That is a lot of realm travelling for one day, I've got to say.

My eyes immediately fall to Neal, who sits on a chair holding a wet cloth to Williams head while John mixes what I presume are herbs. Our boy lying in the bed does not look good, although the covers hide most of his body I can see the planes of his arms and face.

"You're back!" Neal exclaims, rushing towards us, leaving the cloth on his brother's head. "How? Did you find a way to help Emma? Did you find out what he's planning?" He speaks quickly, so fast I struggle to catch all of them.

"That doesn't matter now," I awnser rushing towards Wills bed side. Sweat covers his skin, his body trembles and as I hold his hand I notice it's ice cold but as I place my other hand on his head it's fire warm.

"How is he?" My husband asks, standing beside me and looking at his son with a worried, heartbroken look. "He looks like a ghost,"

"Not Good," Neal answers with a sigh, frowning at his brother with tears in his eyes. I know he loves his brother and his love for him has never shine out more than now. "Really not good,"

"Is there anything you can do?" I ask John, who has a small glass portion bottle in front of his eyes, mixing it with a watchful eye with a stick.

"No," he awnsers, "I've never seen anything like this, I think it might be magic and this will help him pass peaceful, but no, I cannot cure him, I'm sorry," apologise John, motioning to his potion and placing it on the bedside table. "I'll leave you alone with him for a minute," he tells us, looking truly sad and sorry and bowing before leaving the room.

"I'll go to," Neal tells us, looking really unsure about leaving his brother. I'm about to say something to calm him- I'm not sure what- he walks out quickly, leaving my husband and I with our son.

"Oh he looks so ill," David frowns, sitting in the bed facing me while dipping the cloth in more cool water before wiping the sweat off our sons face. A quote groan sounds, and looking at Wills tightly shut eyes, I realise it's him. He must be waking up, I expect John gave him more potion earlier to make his passing peaceful.

But he doesn't have to die.

"We can save him," I say, breaking the silence and looking at the death candle in my hand. All we need to do his get Emma's heart, wherever it is. But she'll die. I don't want her to die, I had hoped we would have been able to save her but we can't.

"At the cost of Emma's life?" David questions, looking really torn, "One of them will die Snow. If we leave it we lose our son and Emma casts the curse, we lose them both, and if we do do it Emma will die but we won't lose William," one way we lose both our children, the other way we only lose one. The choice is obvious but that doesn't make it any less hard. I don't want to lose either of them.

"So it's either William or Emma," I sigh, "There must be another way. There is always a third way and we have to find it," we will find it, I know we will we have to ability to. However the question is will we do it in time? And the awnser? No. We won't.

"We can't let him die, we just can't," David states, exaggerating the can't. He's right, we can't let him die. What parents would we be if we did? What parents are we anyway with all that we've done?

Bad ones. We are very bad parents.

"We can't kill our own daughter," I reply, swallowing a sob that begs to escape.

"What do we do? I don't know what to do," David admits, "I mean the choice should be obvious to us. But I can't kill my own daughter, I won't, I refuse to," and that means I'll have to kill her? No. I won't kill he own daughter either. I may be responsible for her being a villain but I will not be responsible for her death.

I will not kill her. I won't.

Silence swallows us as we both try to figure out what to do, the only sound being an occasional groan from William, each time bringing me back to the present.

Suddenly a sound rips throughout the castle, permanently pulling me from my thoughts, as a result Will let's out an extra long groan and David draws his sword.

Louder than thunder, the warning begins to toll, the sound really hurting my ears. I guess it has to be loud though, it draws your attention but the question is why is it tolling? What's happened?

As the bell continues to sing its song, spreading an unwelcome chill throughout me, especially because no one has come in to tell us, I start to grow more panicked. I see David coming back into the bed chambers, having just been around Williams whole room to check if we are safe so I stand up to meet him, after shushing my son (with the bell ringing he keeps groaning and moving, the noise must be making him feel worse)

"I'm going to find out what happened, you should stay with Will," he states, moving towards the arch way which separates the bedroom from Williams living space. However he his stopped and takes a few steps back in shock and fear as our daughter struts into the room, holding a potion bottle in her hands which she throws between her hands. Looking up from the foul green looking liquid, she seems to not have noticed us until she looks up because of the shock that comes to her face. Although this shock is quickly replaced with an evil grin when she looks at David and I changing her glance repeatedly.

"Well, well, well I didn't expect you to be back so soon!" She greets us, in an excited tone walking over to the beside table and slamming whatever she has in her hands down, creating a bang. "The bells create a depressing tune don't they?" She asks this casually, as if nothing that is happening was happening.

"What are you doing here?" My husband asks, "Because if you've come to harm William, your brother, my son!" He threats but it seems pointless against Emma, who just laughs it off before a look of seriousness covers her face.

"My quarrel is with you, not William, if you must know I've come to help," she tells us, motioning to the potion which still sits upon the ancient, dusty, wooden table.

"What is that?" I ask suspiciously yet with Hope. As she really come to save him? I really hope so. She doesn't have time to awnser me though, as the sound of the door opening reaches my ears and I severely hope it's not Neal.

"Hmm, whose that I wonder?" She asks sarcastically, cranking her head around with glee. Lifting her hand up, she moves her fingers, using her magic to pull whoever poor soul it is into the bedroom. To be honest I expected to be a servant or guards telling us what's happening, or asking us if we're okay but I'm shocked when I see George who Emma has in the air while she chokes him. "George! My little helper! My servant!" She announces, turning round to us and delighting in our surprise.

"I thought our deal was done," he spits in her face angrily, his voice restrained as he tries to breath and for that matter speak. "You said I could- I- could live my life, that you were done with me and would let me be," he says shocking me even more.

Of course. Of course he was working with Emma. I thought we could trust him, it really seemed like it. However the look in his eyes, the fear, the way he looks up at David tells me he truly wants forgiveness, he has changed but he has managed to catch himself up in Emma's grasp, however that came to be.

"Exactly. I'm done with you. And do you know what I do when I'm done with something?" Emma, my daughter, asks with pure venom in her voice, "I throw them away," she spits at him, obviously delighting in his pain. I run towards him, to stop her, as does David but suddenly we are pulled back ourselves, thrown against the wall.

The impact on my head descends me into darkness. Everything disappears.

Just to be clear snows right. George does want redemption but has been caught up with Emma.