Chapter 29 (William)

Last time I held this dreaded stone in my hand I was full of anger, grief, loneliness, sadness, guilt, regret and a tone of other feelings. I was broken, shattered, unfixable.

Now?

Well, I'm still feelings all of those and more but not as much as I was. I still feel broken but I'm healing, ever so slowly but healing. No longer am I shattered or unfixable but I do know that I will never fix completely. I still feel completely lost, I have no wonder where I am or where I'm going. I have little direction. I have a right and I have a left (two people who love me and prove it, Neal and Emma who are both pulling me in the same direction. Towards peace and happiness. (Though I do fear Emma's trying to pull me towards the darkness to join her) and then there's my parents. Claiming they only want what's best for me, which I believe, but going about it the wrong way) but I have no north, south, east or west. Little way to go.

It's times like this when I feel I cannot talk to anyone else, where I wish the most Emma was still good and it was years ago when I was a child and innocent- when we were all innocent- when the darkness of the world was hidden from me. That's when I long for those times the most.

Holding the glacial like stone in my hand which spreads a numbing feeling throughout me which actually is a relief. Feeling numb is better than remembering my childhood and how much everything's changed since then. It's better than thinking about Arthur.

"Hello brother," that stony voice says from behind me, still making me shiver slightly. If you asked me, I could recite in exact detail the moment that bright and always happy voice turned cold. I remember every terrible detail from that day, from the moment I woke up from the moment I went to bed. Well I didn't really sleep that day. I didn't even go into the bed. I stood by the window looking out at the dark sky thinking about my sister. The person who stands behind me.

"Hello," I reply, not even turning back to look at her, just turning around the stone in my hand, looking as it moves. I hear her footsteps which sound in a regular pattern her boots creating a sound on the floor. Then her cold, bony hand rests on my shoulder, to which I quickly shove away, showing her I'm in no such mood.

"What's happened?" She asks me immediately, leaning on the wall beside the window with her arms crossed, her gaze on me intensely.

"I'm not stupid," I tell her, my voice conveying nothing, numb almost. Can a voice even be numb? I'm not sure, but I do know mine is. "Despite what you may think," that part comes with a dry laugh, which I find strange on me, I'm not used to it. "And despite the seven year age difference and the fact I don't live with you anymore, you can't hide it from me," I tell her, scowling at her slightly, how could she have not have told me? Did she really think I'd believe George?

Last night I had a lot of time to think- having not slept- and as I laid awake, blinking tears away I realised. Emma's of magic. She wouldn't let someone like George escape and with her abilities they probably wouldn't be able to anyway. She's planning something, she let him escape whether he knows it or not. Is he lying to us? Does George know Emma let him escape? It could be that he does, but he might not.

"The things I hide from you are for good reason," She argues, her gaze still intense on me but then momentarily softening, "I may not show it in the best of ways but I love you and your to young and innocent to be involved in this war," the emotion in her voice convinces me that she truly means it but that doesn't mean I'm going to drop this.

"I know," I tell her, taking a step closer, "But I have to know, why have you sent George here? Does he know that you let him escape? Is he lying to us? Is he a danger to us?" I ask, making her gaze drop to the floor for a few seconds and her mouth open. Quickly she regains herself, looking at me and closing her mouth and only once she's done so does she reply.

"He's no danger to you," she starts off with, putting a bit to much emphasis on 'you' making me suspicious.

"So he is to mother, father and Neal?" I cut in, raising my eyebrows, "Tell me," I say with assertiveness when she remains silent. Honestly I have no power over her, only the fact she loves me, so she doesn't have to awnser if she doesn't want to really. At this, she looks up and if I'm not imagining it there's sorrow in her eyes, but it quickly disappears, to quick for me to say for sure.

"He knows I let him escape," Emma replies, awnsering question number 2. (She doesn't have to awnser the last one because her silence awnsered that) "He's not fully lying to you. He truly does want to make things up with David," she informs me, her use of calling our father David still strange. She doesn't always do it, she does it when she's talking to him or about him mockingly but when she calls him David it feels odd. The only person that calls him that is mother. "He wants to be a family with you all but he knows what I'm planning and he knows I let him escape," she says, awnsering that question but staying hesitant on my first question.

"And you trust George not to tell us all your plan?" I ask disbelievingly, "No, you wouldn't, don't forget I know you well," at this a smile develops on her face, which is destroyed with a head shake.

"Let's just say I've created a little safety valve," she tells me with a wink, taking a breath and carrying on at my disproving shake of my head. "And even if he did, not even they, or you or Neal can stop what's coming," she tells me, only leaving me with more questions.

What's coming? What little 'safety valve' has she created with him? Why can't we stop what's coming? And most importantly, what is she planning?

"How do you know I won't tell mother and father about George?" I ask instead, pushing those questions away because I know she won't answer them. Directly or clearly at least.

"Because they don't know I visit you, telling them would mean revealing your betrayal," she awnsers, her smile unsettling me.

"I wouldn't call it betrayal," I snap, interrupting her but she doesn't really see, to mind. Instead she looks at me and smiles.

"No I wouldn't either," she agrees, but I don't believe she really thinks this. In visiting Emma have I really betrayed mother and father? But being fair on me, they betrayed me, something I still haven't forgiven them for, and probably never will. Because of them I will never truly be happy. "And now brother, I have a question for you for once," she informs me, making my mouth open with shock and worry. What could she possibly need to ask me? With her powers she could find out by herself? Is this some kind of manipulation?

"What is it?" I ask, the worry finding shelter in my stomach and staying there to rest and grow. The fact she needs to ask me something physically scares me.

"Why didn't you tell Snow and David that James was with me?" She asks, the worry instantly dying as my breathing slows and I calm down. That is all she wants to ask me, that's good, that's okay. That's a question I will tell her without fear.

"Because I love you," I confess, "Because I'm still angry at them. Because you told me that with trust and unlike Neal I'm no secret spiller. And because you've been here for me when nobody else has," I finish, looking at her as a smile forms on her face. "I love you," I tell her again, pulling her into a hug.

"I love you to," she tells me, hugging me back. For a few minutes we stay like that, though it feels like a life time. A life time ago I helped her escape, a life time ago we went to that village to help the people who had people who had fallen ill. A life time ago we first came face to face with Captain Hook. Finally I pull away, stepping back and looking at her.

"I should go," I say, and she nods, remaining silent and saying nothing. "Goodbye, until we meet again,"

"Until we meet again," she repeats, leaving me to walk out the room. As I'm about to open the door however, she speaks again. "And Will," She says softly, "Know that no matter what happens I love you and never forget that. I would never hurt you without good reason," she says, falling silent again and as I turn around and nod, I see guilt plastered all over her face.

Guilt for what? I don't know. Guilt for leaving me? For being angry at my brother and parents? Guilt for everything?

I guess only time will tell.

I always forget he's only 15! It's just all the pain and how mature he is for his age!