Chapter 22 (Snow)

As I look around all I can think about is how different it all looks.

When I was a little girl this castle -my castle- was always full of light with the walls painted various colours that brung happiness to it. Music constantly was playing, the halls were never quiet and always busy but that wasn't so bad. The sweet soothing smell of pastries and cakes and foreign food would invade the castle from the kitchens, being the only scent around.

Oh how I miss those days. The sound, the smell, the memories, there all gone. Erased. Like they never existed which physically hurts my heart. Everything that ever happened here, all the memories with my parents, my childhood, it's gone. All replaced with this empty nothingness that remains. Black as night paint climbing off the walls with the dark corners decorated with a thin white silk.

"Ugh," my husband groans, "How many spiders are in here?" Looking up I see what he's talking about, the place is crawling with them which only further reminds me of how much everything has changed since I was a little girl. How much I've changed.

"Yeah," I sigh back, wrinkling my nose at the damp smell which has replaced the smell of the sweet smelling buns.

"Hey," My husband says turning to me, probably sensing the sadness in my voice. Gently and lovingly he pulls me into a hug, his scent and warmth comforting me. Hey, it's going to be alright. We will get our-" he begins but doesn't get to finish because suddenly a ton of shining silver smoke engulfs us both.

***
When the smoke clears I look around very confused and quickly realise I'm no longer in the long maze of the hallways. Instead I'm in Reginas old room, which has long since changed since I've been it, the exact same as the rest of the castle except the cool wind which blows harder from the balcony. A sudden gust of wind runs a shiver up my spine, making me pull my cream coloured cape closer to my shoulders. Except that chill is nothing compared to the one I get next when I see my daughter.

Head to toe dressed it crocodile black leather, deep red lipstick stuck to her lips and now white as a doves feather hair swept into a bun, not a single hair out of place. She looks so different, like the evil we drowned her in has kidnapped her and swallowed her whole, completely changing her forever. The hope I felt when we entered has suddenly dissipated leaving a huge sense of dread deep within me. One look at my daughter and I know it's to late. We had a chance and we screwed it up. I'll be very surprised if we leave this place as a family- a whole, happy, healthy family.

"Hello mother," her strangely winter cold voice says, her lips in a wickedly teasing smile. "Glad you took me up on my offer," she says, walking towards us while her smile falls and we look at us like we're nothing more than dirt.

I remember when she was a little girl, I was pregnant with Neal and we were sitting on a blanket having a picnic. Her and David were playing hide and seek, Emma hiding behind a tree. David was counted and as he walked, calling her name (pretending he didn't know where she was) I could hear her cute little laughs from behind the tree.

Oh how I miss that.

"Emma what happened to you?" I ask, looking at David who looks completely shocked and speechless and more than anything, hurt. The pain on his face is so evident and he looks so stressed. It hurts my heart even more than it already does. My heart is in a million pieces.

"Isn't is obvious?!" She asks, sounding completely shocked. Taking yet another step towards me she awnsers with a frown. "You. YOU HAPPENED!" She screams so incredibly angrily, her voice raising my heart beat in fear.

"Emma please, we are so sorry, please you have to forgive us!" My husband practically begs, he might as well be on his knees but I don't blame him. I want her back to, the want collecting in my eyes and blurring my vision, falling helplessly done my face.

"NO!" Emma shouts, "No I don't, not after what you, my parents," she spits the word like it's mud or scum or poison that she has to flush out of her body, the sheer pain she's feeling right now truly coming out.

What hurts most? Knowing she has a proper reason to hate me.

"Please!" David begs, breaking is silence, "Please Emma we regret what we did so much and I just want my baby girl back," and the truth behind his words is clear but Emma chooses to ignore it.

"No. I don't accept your apologies. All I want now is for your to suffer," she tells us, her eyes narrowing in on us both with hate.

"Please why are you doing this?" I ask even though I already know, if I didn't I'd be stupid.

"BECAUSE I HATE YOU!" She screams as loud as possible and suddenly a baby starts to scream but she pays no attention. "Because I so badly want to hurt you. I want you to suffer like I've suffered and most importantly I want you to feel my pain. I shall get my revenge and it shall be gruesome because THATS ALL YOU DESERVE," only when she finishes this does she look back. "Now if you don't mind I'm going to attend to my daughter," she sighs, not even looking at us as she turns around. As she says this I look at David, billions of tears escaping my eyes like a waterfall.

It's a girl.

I have a granddaughter.