24

We're Not Friends | 24

The Next Day
Friday
September 9th, 2022

"Hey." Ross says into his phone. He shoves a forkful of pasta into his mouth and smiles at the sight of Laura in her glasses. She's tired, he can tell.

"Hi. Are you still busy?" She asks him. He shakes his head and swallows his dinner.

"No. Rocky and Ryland are both gone for the night. It's just me and Vader now. We were gonna play some NHL or something after dinner." He shrugs. She smiles.

"Can I come over?" He nods his head.

"Of course you can. You look sleepy, though. You sure you want to drive over here? I can pack up some toys and food for Vader and the two of us can come to you." She shakes her head at him.

"No, I'm awake enough to come drive to you. Vader would be more comfortable at home. I can leave in a few." He gives her a thumbs up.

"Sounds good. I'll see you soon. Drive safe, listen to music loudly." She rolls her eyes.

"I will. I'll text you when I'm in the driveway so I don't scare you when I open the front door. Love you."

"Love you, too. Bye." Laura ends the FaceTime first. Ross finishes up his pasta salad, takes Vader out to the bathroom again, does his dishes and cleans his dinner mess while Laura drives the 30 minutes to his house. Laura walks through the front door shortly after Ross sits back down on the couch. Vader darts to her.

"Aw, hi Vader!" She exclaims. "How's the good boy doing? Is Uncle Ross taking good care of you?" Ross rolls his eyes at her words and she gives Vader rubs.

"Uncle Ross is taking great care of him. He just went out and did his business twenty minutes ago." Laura chuckles and comes to take a seat next to Ross on the couch. He looks at her. "I have something for you." She furrows her eyebrows.

"You have something for me?" He nods his head.

"Yeah." As he stands up he kisses her cheek. "Stay here, I'll go get it." He kisses her lips this time. Laura hums a response as he walks away. Vader follows after Ross and Laura bites the inside of her lip. Ross grabs the box from his room. He can't really hide it once he's in the living room, it's a big white box with the brands name on it. The second she sees it she'll know what it is. "Ready?" He asks, peaking his head out from the hall. She's facing the tv.

"Yup." She doesn't bother turning her head to look at him. Smiling, he walks over to her, holding the box out in front of him. Her jaw drops. "Are those the boots?" She asks, completely shocked. Yesterday she had to leave breakfast earlier than she thought which meant she didn't have time to go look for her boots. However, Ross had time and Laura showed him a picture of them so he knew what he was looking for.

"Maybe." He teases. She quickly grabs the box from his hands.

"Ross!" She exclaims, staring at the box. "You bought them for me?" She finally pulls the lid off the box and stares at the gorgeous boots with her jaw dropped. "I called them this morning and asked if they still had them and the lady said they didn't. I was so sad. You did this?" He smiles and sits down beside her.

"I went to the place once you left breakfast. I described to them what they looked like and that you called the day before asking for the size. She was a fan, by the way." She puts a hand on her heart before pulling him in for a hug.