The Night of the Comet

"Lemons."

"Mangoes."

"Nectarines."

"Oranges."

"Pumpkins."

"Quinces."

"Quinces." Sasha looked up at her father in confusion, dropping the cloth that she had been using to wipe down the kitchen counter.

"Yeah, Quinces, they exist." Her father spoke defensively. "Look like pears, they're yellowish, look it up kid."

Sasha looked at her father skeptically before rolling her eyes. "Fine, you win." She relented.

"That's right!" Rudy cheered before doing a little happy dance that made Sasha face palm herself.

"Dad, no. No, no, no." She told him before letting out a laugh at his dance moves.

"So, kiddo. Do you want to tell me exactly why you didn't go out with your sisters tonight?" Rudy asked.

Rudy knew his daughters. He knew that Alisha was the quietest, kind too and the most caring, she's the one he expected to bring in at least one stray animal each week. Then there was Bonnie, the protective one. She's the one he never really had to worry about. She had this inbuilt thing that just made her so self reliant. Even as a child, he could always count on her to take care of not only her sisters but her friends as well.

Then came Sasha, his fiercest daughter. He used to joke with his wife about her being a reincarnation of Sheila Bennett, her mother. Sasha had always had this fighting spirit, this confidence and determination that made him feel like she was always in battle.

He remembered when she was twelve and her teachers tried to hold her back a grade because her grades were slipping. In her defence, that's when their mother had left. He remembers how hard Sasha had worked to get her grades up and prove herself to everyone. She was his little fighter.

"I just wasn't feeling it, honestly." Sasha responded as she pushed herself up to sit on the kitchen island.

"You?" Rudy asked in disbelief.

Sasha sighed.

"Why doesn't anyone believe that all I want is a night of peace at home, in my jammies, playing the alphabet game with my awesome dad while cleaning the kitchen."  She asked defensively.

Rudy laughed. He held his arms up in defence. "Hey. I'm not complaining. You know I enjoy your company, baby girl, I'm just a little concerned. This isn't like you, sitting out a chance to have fun with your friends."

Sasha was right. Her motto was YOLO. It always has been. She took risks, she was the outgoing one among her friends. But lately that had changed. And she knew that it had a lot to do with Mason.

"You know, most parents don't complain about their kids choosing to stay indoors rather than staying out late." She commented.

Rudy cocked his head to the side. "Well I didn't say I was complaining."

"We'll watch the comet together, dad. Can't we just hang out and watch a movie together?" She spoke as she hopped off the island.

They were done cleaning the kitchen anyway.

"Sounds great, baby girl." He told his oldest with a smile. "What do you want to watch?"

"Anything with action, of course." She told him. "You pick. I'll make the popcorn."

Sasha already started heading to get a bowl from the cupboard.

"I have been wanting to revisit the Matrix." He spoke thoughtfully. "Oh and by the way, I've been meaning to ask about your sister?"