43. Harry's Connection

I knew once Daniel got my letter he'd insist on coming back over to be with me and see for himself that I'm okay. I was right. He's sitting in the kitchen with me and Alli while my parents argue upstairs. We sent Dylan out to the pond because I didn't want him hearing the yelling. Alli is leaning against me and Daniel is keeping an eye on Dylan through the window while holding a sleeping Amelia.
"They never argue like this," I say quietly.
"They're both just worried about you in their own ways," Daniel says while still looking out of the window.
"I guess I should go before my mom shows up here herself to drag me home," Alli says sadly. I walk her over to the fireplace and give her a big hug before she disappears.
Walking back into the kitchen I see Daniel waving to Dylan and giving him a thumbs up.
"You didn't have to come," I tell him.
"Yes I did."
Before I can say anything else we hear a crashing noise in the living room and James comes running into the kitchen, grabbing me into a bone crushing hug.
"What the hell happened? How did they find you?" James asks while still hugging me.
"She can't breathe, mate," Daniel says behind me.
"Right, sorry." James let's me go.
"What are you doing here?" I ask him while rubbing my ribs he just nearly broke.
"I had to make sure you were okay."
"I only wrote you about what happened because I was concerned about them finding you next."
"Still, they almost killed you. I had to see you."
"She's fine," Daniel says a little defensively. I look back at him and see he's looking at James with dark eyes.
"I can see that now. I had to see for myself," James says annoyed.
"You can go home now then," Daniel shoots back.
They both stand there glaring at each other.
"James?" We all snap our heads over to see my mom at the bottom of the stairs.
"Hello, Mrs. Fletcher. Sorry to intrude I just wanted to check on Ellie."
"You're not intruding, come sit I'll make us all breakfast." Mon rushes into the kitchen and starts breakfast. I sit quietly between Daniel and James. Dylan runs back into the house when he sees that mom is cooking.
"You should go back to your family after breakfast. Let them know to be on the lookout," Daniel says to James.
"They already know. I'll leave if Ellie wants me to."
Daniel scoffs. "You know she's not going to tell you to leave. She's worried about you too."
"Guess I'm staying then."
Daniel looks down at me. I roll my eyes because the last thing I really need is boy drama. He sighs then sits the now awake Amelia in her booster seat. When he comes back over he gives me a sweet kiss then puts his arms around me. James rolls his eyes.
The rest of the day I sit with Daniel and James outside. They both seemed to have gotten over their little ego fight.
"It was a girl," I tell them while laying in the grass. "The hooded figure is a girl."
"You saw her face?" Daniel asks.
"No. Just her hair and her nails and her wand. I heard her voice more clearly too. In my dreams her voice is usually distorted."
"She tried to use the killing curse on you," James says while laying back next to me. "I really think you should talk to my dad."
"That's a good idea honestly," Daniel says.
"Should I go today?" I ask them. They both say yes. I look at them both, remembering that dream I had about both of them at the same time.
"You okay?" Daniel asks.
"Yes, yeah I'm fine," I say a bit flustered. As if he can read my mind, Daniel smirks then looks over at James.
"What?" James asks.
"Nothing! Let's go tell my parents we're going to your house," I say with a red face before jumping up and leaving them behind. I forgot I had told Daniel about that dream so he probably did know exactly what I was thinking about.

When we all get to James's house I take in a big breath. I miss this house. James hasn't looked at me since I left them behind in the grass which leads me to believe Daniel told him why I was so flustered.
"I'll go find my dad," James says finally looking at me. He blushes a bit then walks upstairs.
I spin around to Daniel and got his chest. "Ouch! What?"
"You told him about that dream didn't you?"
"Maybe," he says smirking.
"I hate you!"
"You so don't hate me," he says in a low voice that he knows sends chills up my spine.
"I had that dream when I was still with James he probably hates me again."
"No I would definitely say he doesn't hate you." Daniel smirks again then raises an eyebrow. "He sounded kinda into it actually."
"Oh my god," I say while hiding my face into my hands.
"ELLIE!" Several voices at once yell my name. Desmond, Conor, Scorpius, Albus, and Lilly all come barreling downstairs to hug me. The tightest squeeze comes from Albus.
"We we're all so worried about you, Ellie," Albus says while still holding me.
"Albus and I wanted to go with James to check on you," Scorpius says. He's gotten so tall he could pass for being my age.
"Only James wouldn't let anyone come. I guess he didn't think about the fact that Daniel would be there too," Lilly says in a sassy voice.
"I'm okay guys, really." I look over at Desmond. "I wouldn't be though if it weren't for Alli."
Desmond gives me a sad look. "I'm going to her house tomorrow. I'm sorry to say I was frustrated with you for putting her in danger."
"Totally understandable," I tell him and I feel Daniel's grip on my waist tighten.
"No it's not. I was worried about you as well, Ellie. I do care about you very much."
"I know, Des. Don't worry about it I was mad at myself for getting her into that danger as well. No one is more relived that she's okay than I am," I say with a small smile. Desmond nods with a smile back.
"We've missed you, Ellie," Conor says.
"I've missed you guys too." I lean into Daniel a little.
"Ellie. Dad wants to see you in his office," James says from the top of the stairs. I give Daniel a quick kiss then head upstairs. Down the hall a little James stops me. "I really was worried about you," he whispers with his hand on my lower back. "I'd lose my mind if something happened to you."
I just look up at him, suddenly having the urge to kiss him. I won't though. "I'm okay, James." His face is just inches from mine now.
"Ellie," Harry's voice makes us both jump. "Ready to talk?"
"Yes! I'm ready. Thanks for showing me the way, James." I quickly walk past him, my heart sunken down to my stomach. I quickly glance back at James who's watching me carefully.

"When Voldemort was regaining power, I could see directly through his mind. We were connected. A part of him lived in me. I don't understand why you have a connection with this dark figure though," Harry tells me after I've told him every last detail of what's been going on.
"She must want me to see. She wants me to fear her," I say while laying on his office couch.
"Possibly."
"I don't understand why the dreams only happened at Hogwarts and on the train. How did she find me after that?"
"Your father is very high up in the ministry, Ellie. I don't know if you know that."
I sit up. I never really thought much about what exactly my dad did in the government back home or about what he does here.
"What does that mean for our family?"
"Usually that your home address is hidden away so well even other ministry officials can't find it. Sometimes it means dark witches and wizards will go to great lengths just to find it."
"I thought all of the dark magic folk disappeared with Voldemort's death."
"No, unfortunately not. You saw what the Grayback clan did to your classmate."
"Oh right. Do you think maybe there's other dark clans rallying a new leader?"
"That could be. I just don't understand how you're connected to it though."
"Yeah me either. Unless it's my connection to you through your kids? Maybe they can't quite get through to any of their heads. Maybe because I'm so close to them they think they can use me to get through to them?"
"How would they know you're connected to my family at all?"
"Someone at Hogwarts must be reporting back to them! My first few dreams showed me someone talking to the girl who was at my house! Another student is reporting back to this girl!" I hop up. "Oh my god. I saw her. In the Slytherin common room. She must be a Slytherin."
"We'll keep an eye on the Slytherin students then when school starts back up. Good dot connecting, Ellie."
When we go to open the door all of my friends who were supposed to be downstairs tumble from the doorway.
"I guess we should've figured they'd all do that," I say smiling up at Harry.

Daniel and I have to get back to my house so we all say goodbye. I'm careful when I hug James. Just a quick one. I tell Desmond to give Alli a big hug for me then we leave.
Back at my house everything is still and too quiet. Mom left a note that her, dad, Dylan, and Amelia went into town and will be back for dinner.
"So. That girl on the couch that one night? You think she's dark?" Daniel asks while we walk upstairs.
"Pretty sure, yeah." We plop onto my bed. "Why did you tell James about that dream?"
"Ellie I didn't really. I wouldn't do that to you. I don't know why James was being so weird. He's James after all."
"I think he tried to kiss me." Daniel sits up, his eyebrows furrowed. "In the hallway at his house. He got really close to my face."
"And you did what?"
"I didn't do anything. His dad came to talk to me and I left James in the hallway."
"Did you want to kiss him?"
"Daniel don't be ridiculous."
"I know you Ellie. I know you flirted with me when you were with him."
"That was you though. It's different. I want you. Only you."
"Are you positive? I don't want you to be unhappy, Ellie."
"Daniel I'm happy with you. Please believe me."
"I do." He scoots closer to me and let's me lay my head down on his chest. "I'm sorry I got jealous I just..."
"I know," I say. "I'd feel the same way if another girl tried that with you." I kiss his chin then let my finger roam around on his abs. We stay like that until my family comes home for dinner.