13. Happy New Year

Mom and Dad decided to let me go the Potter house for New Years Eve, Dad more reluctantly than Mom. They let me travel by floo powder. James is waiting for me by his fireplace when I arrive.
"Hey! Finally! Albus, Scorpius, she's here!" He yells up to them. "Mom and Dad aren't here they had some last minute stuff to take care of." James wipes off some soot from my face.
"Oh thanks! I'm so excited! I can't believe this year is already over. I almost never actually stay awake for midnight but I'm hoping you'll help me stay awake tonight." I give him a quick kiss and then bring my stuff over to the couch where I'll be sleeping. "Where's Lilly?"
"Oh she wanted to go with Mom. She really enjoyed Dylan's company by the way. Said he played very fairly and never tried to skip her turn while playing some board game."
"That's so nice to hear! He's a pretty fun kid to hang out with. I wish you could spend more time with him I think you'd absolutely love each other."
"If he's anything like you then you know I would."
"He's way better than me. He's sweeter, smarter, more imaginative. I could go on forever really."
"We should take him to Diagon Alley sometime soon! He'd probably get a laugh out of my uncle's joke shop."
"Yeah let's go!"
We go over to the couch and lounge around, talking about what next semester will be like when the boys finally join us.
"Finished snogging then?" James teases.
"We were not snogging!" Albus groans.
James and I look over at Scorpius who's red face and smirk tell us otherwise.
"I can't believe the school year is halfway over. And I can't believe you're one of the top of our class despite starting late!" James throws a pillow at me.
"Us Slytherins are just that smart," I say shrugging.
"I really hope you'll be here next year too," Albus says quietly. I look over at him and feel my heart drop. He has no idea how much I hope so too.

By the time Ginny and Harry join us, I'm so tired I could pass out right on the floor. James explains to them that they need to keep me awake until midnight and everyone starts making loud noises. Giggling, I sit up. Harry hands out hot chocolate to all of us kids while Ginny tells us about her next article in the Daily Profit.
Thankfully, there's only an hour until midnight. James and Albus have been taking turns at distracting me to keep me awake.
"Did you have any muggle friends back in America?" Albus asks me while shoving a handful of every flavor beans in his mouth.
"I had some growing up but we didn't stay close once I was accepted into Ilvermorny."
"What are your friends back home like?"
"Umm... well there's Holly, Samira, and Coop. And Ryan. They're all fine I guess. Even though I've known them since we were eleven I feel like I don't know them at all. Holly and Samira were always closer to each other than to me. Coop and Ryan knew each other since preschool so... I was kinda the odd one out all the time," I tell him.
"Why'd you pause before saying Ryan's name? Was he your boyfriend?"
"Not really. We flirted and kissed sometimes but there was always someone better who caught his attention." I bring my knees to my chest, remembering how Ryan always made me feel small and unimportant. He'd spend a whole week interested in me, flirting openly with me, kissing me behind closed doors. Then he'd just lose interest and start seeing a new girl for a few months. Thinking about him makes me feel sick to my stomach.
James comes over and sits by my feet. I can't believe I ever thought he'd be the same. "Ryan kind of sounds like an idiot," James says.
"Yeah he sounds like a git," Scorpius chimes in.
"Yeah well... I was the idiot who trailed after him so... Only it wasn't like that until last year. First and second year I was totally independent of him. I mean obviously he wasn't so scummy with girls at eleven and twelve but even when they all left me out I didn't care. I would go off on my own and explore Ilvermorny. I don't know why I let things change like that the minute he showed any interest in me third year." Now I begin to feel angry at myself. I let him change who I was. I was so free and adventurous. I hate that I just left that part of me behind for some guy.
Almost as if reading my mind, James tells me, "Ellie you should explore London or even some of the Wizarding World by yourself. I mean obviously do some research as to where is safer to go by yourself but you should do it!"
My heart could explode for him right now. He's actually encouraging me to be my old self. Is this what a real boyfriend is like? Or even just a real friend? "I'm sure my mom and dad could give you some tips!"
"Yeah, that sounds really great actually," I say nodding. I want my alone adventure but right now I want to kiss him more than anything.
"Nearly midnight kids!" Ginny calls over to us. "Lilly is fast asleep. She wanted to stay up but I think midnight was just too much of a stretch for her."
"I know how she feels," I say which gets a laugh from everyone.
"Ready?" James asks, grabbing my hand. Harry turns a little radio on and we begin to hear counting.
Ten. Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Five! Four! Three! Two! One! Happy new year!
James kisses me sweetly, nervous to be seen by his parents. "Happy new year, James. I'm really glad we get to ring it in together," I whisper to him.
"So am I. Happy new year, Ellie." He gives me another quick kiss.

Next thing I know, it's morning. It sounds like I'm the only one awake. I take the opportunity of the quiet and light a fire to read by. Scorpius offered me the guest room that he's staying in several times last night but this was why I wanted the living room. The quiet, the fire, the coziness. I'm about halfway through my book when I hear quiet footsteps coming down the stairs. I look over to see James wiping the sleep out of his eyes and yawning. When he stretches I can see just a bit of his stomach.
Blushing, I turn back to the paragraph I was in the middle of and let him come over to lay his head in my lap.
"Good morning," I whisper.
"Good morning," he whispers back. "Good book?"
"Yeah Desmond let me borrow it," I say putting my bookmark in. "Did you sleep well?"
"Like a baby. How about you?"
"Same. I'm so comfortable here." I run my fingers through his messy black hair. He closes his eyes with a smile on his face. "How did you get so handsome?"
His face goes red and he opens one eye to look at me. "You're really good at embarrassing me," he chuckles.
"I don't mean to embarrass you, I just think you're so handsome." James sits up and looks into my eyes. His gaze is so intense now I'm blushing. "What are you thinking about?" I ask, whispering again.
"How the hell I got so lucky," he says leaning in to my face. His forehead touches mine and we smile before kissing. When we lean back out, he looks sad.
"James?"
"I just hate the thought of you shrinking yourself for me the way you did for him," he says with the saddest eyes I've ever seen.
"James, there's a huge difference between you and him. You're not keeping me your secret or your little throw away doll until you need me again. You show me off proudly. You encourage me to be myself. You constantly make me feel free and happy and safe. You don't flip out when I spend one on one time with your friends. Trust me, you're nothing like him and our relationship is not even close to being the same as mine with him." I see this reassures him.
"You're far too important to be anyone's throw away doll, Elizabeth Fletcher. Don't ever let anyone treat you that way again okay?" He scoops my jaw into his hand and makes me look into his intense eyes again.
"I promise I won't," I tell him.
"Not even me okay? Not me or him or anyone else," he says while still holding my gaze. I can tell he means it. I think he loves me. I think I love him.

Before I have to go back to my house, Harry and Ginny make us all breakfast. Ginny is pleased to see I'm wearing my sweater from Molly, telling me how much her mom gushed over me after Christmas. After breakfast, Albus and Scorpius give me big hugs and say goodbye. The next time I see them will be on the Hogwarts Express to get back to school. Ginny, Harry, and Lilly give me hugs and tell me to feel welcome to drop in anytime I want. I know they mean it.
Everyone gives me and James some privacy to say our goodbyes. "Well I'll see you in a few days then!" James says, holding me close to him.
"Yeah! I'll make sure to find you guys on the train. Be safe okay? And listen to your mom."
"Yeah yeah," he says rolling his eyes. "See you soon, Fletcher."
"See you soon, Potter." I give him a kiss before grabbing some floo powder and getting back home.

Mom and the siblings have gone home leaving just Dad to take me to Kings Cross. "You have everything?"
"Yes for the hundredth time," I sass.
"Your wand? Enough winter and spring clothes?"
"Dad yes I have everything!"
We stand at platform nine and three quarters, looking at each other. It's much harder to leave this version of him. We embrace in a big hug, squeezing so tight it almost hurts.
"I love you kid."
"I love you so much Dad."
"Be safe, study hard. Stay out of James's room."
"Dad!"
"See you in a few months, Ellie." He kisses my head. We wave goodbye as I run onto the train, practically running right into a fourth year boy in Slytherin named Daniel.
"Oh I'm sorry," I say.
"No need to apologize." He looks me up and down. "No need at all. Hi Ellie."
"Hi Daniel, how was your Christmas break?"
"It was really lovely, how was yours?" He continues to let his eyes wonder over me. I feel my body heat up. Daniel definitely isn't ugly. But he also isn't James so I shouldn't really be reacting this way. I realize I'm smiling at him with my finger twirling my hair a bit and stop immediately.
"Oh it was great, thanks for asking. I'll see you around!" I walk past him and still feel his eyes on me. Finally I find James and the guys in a compartment. "Hello boys, did you miss me?"
"Of course we did, gorgeous." Desmond winks at me.
"Hey you!" James kisses me and then puts my bags up overhead. "Your mum and siblings are gone?"
"Unfortunately. But my mom said they might be coming back soon so that's good! Dad definitely has to stay a while so hopefully this summer we can all be here," I tell them.
"Dylan is a cool little guy," Conor says.
"Yeah he's pretty amazing," I say smiling.

Once we get to Hogwarts and all get settled, I decide to write to my dad and then to my mom to tell them I've arrived safely and that I miss them both so much. It's really odd how moving to a different country mended the bond between me and both of my parents. I really feel like Hogwarts has changed my life for the better.

A/N: not to beg y'all for feedback but I am begging y'all for feedback ok thanks bye hehe