47. Ends and Beginnings

James and I are sitting quietly in Mcgonagall's office while she paces back and forth. I couldn't believe when James told me he dreamt about the girl who almost killed me. That means she's broken through to his head.
"How could this have happened?" Mcgonagall says to us.
"Well. We went into the forbidden forest. And... something happened in there," I say in a small voice.
"You went..." Mcgonagall takes a big sigh with rolled eyes. "Just like your parents James Potter."
"We snuck in behind an auror. By the time he figured out we were there something grabbed onto Ellie's ankle. Daniel got her back,"
"Daniel was there as well then?" Mcgonagall cuts him off looking really agitated.
"Yes. Daniel got Ellie back but then something started dragging me by my ankle. Ellie stopped it then chased after it but... I guess just by having me for that moment was enough to get into my head," James finishes explaining.
"She's a death eater," I say. Mcgonagall looks over at me as if I just spoke a forgotten language. "My dad has told me about them. How when they fly around they appear as a black smoke. That's what she looked like."
"Does that mean Voldemort is back?" James asks.
"That's not possible," Mcgonagall assures him.
She sends us back to our dorms without any answers. James and I are quiet when we leave but as soon as we get out of her office I take a huge breath and groan.
"How could we be so stupid? We should have listened to Daniel," I say while rubbing my head.
"I actually agree. That was the best dream ever until she showed up," James says slumping against the wall.
"What if she can get to Albus and Lilly now?" I fold my arms over my stomach. I suddenly feel very sick.
"It's going to be fine. Remember what Mcgonagall said before kick us out? I'm going to be learning occlumency."
"Yeah. I just hope it works. I guess we should get to bed," I say before getting curious. "What was your dream about before she showed up?"
"You," James says before winking and walking towards the Gryffindor common room.
I roll my eyes then get going to the Slytherin common room. I have a feeling four anxious Slytherins are waiting for me to inform them on what Mcgonagall said.

The next few days James looks like he's been beaten down so hard he could collapse at any moment. Occlumency is taking a huge toll on him but he said he's getting pretty good at it. I haven't had a dream in a while. I'm not sure if it's because she doesn't need me to get to James anymore or because I've somehow learned occlumency on my own. I did shut them out that one night.
We're all sitting in a corridor while we take a break from studying when I see the friendly snake from the forest sitting coiled by a doorway.
I grab Daniel's arm and have him follow me while I follow the snake. He takes us around the corner then slithers on top of a brick wall before speaking.
She's found the Potter boy. The older one.
Yes I know.
The white snake still wants you. She wants to harm you viciously. They still believe you are a threat to their plan.
What is their plan?
I do not know. I've only been able to spy recently after meeting you in the forest. They believe you could stop them from hurting the Potter children. They believe you are too powerful. I came to tell you to be extra vigilant. They are frustrated they can no longer break through to your mind. Do not return to the forest.
When I nod the snake bows his little head then slithers off towards the forest.
"What was that about?" Daniel asks me.
"He was warning me. They're still after me. They can't see through my head anymore though." I look over at the forest. It looks darker, more dangerous these days.

Since it's Sunday everyone is out either at Hogsmeade or hanging out around campus so Daniel and I are taking advantage of his empty dorm.
"You're so good at that," I say breathlessly when we've both finished.
"You're better," he says closing his eyes and laying back. "Plus you're so beautiful it's like I can't even comprehend how I got so damn lucky."
I get on top of him and kiss his neck while he groans because we've already done it twice. I giggle and lay my head on his chest while he lightly runs his fingers over my back.
"What are you doing later?" I ask him.
"Quidditch tryouts. October came around really fast. I'm going to have Scorpius help me since he's definitely making the team again."
"James held the Gryffindor tryouts yesterday. Lilly and Dylan made the team. I'm so proud of them." I finally get up and start getting dressed.
"I miss your body already," Daniel says watching me. I look over at his beautiful face. I really do love him. "What's on your mind?" He asks quietly.
"Always you," I say smiling. "My beautiful boy." I sit on the edge of his bed and move a strand of hair out of his face. "I love you, Daniel."
His eyes soften and he sits up, cupping my face in his hand. "I love you so much, Ellie." He gives me a heart stopping kiss. We both smile after the kiss.

While Daniel is holding his tryouts I decide to go find James. When I see him sitting alone while reading a book I quietly sit on the wall with him. He puts down his book and I see bags under his eyes.
"The occlumency isn't working is it?"
"No it is. It's just been so rough on me. I don't know how you do it so effortlessly. You look happy though, you just spend some quality time with Daniel?" James asks with a tired grin.
"Yeah actually we just said I love you for the first time," I say with a small smile.
"Oh. That's nice." James goes back to reading his book. I feel a little bad now.
"I'm sorry if this is still weird for you I guess I shouldn't have told you that."
"I don't care. I just think it's funny that you told me only four months into our relationship but six months into your relationship with him."
"James. That isn't fair. You were my first real boyfriend."
"Was I your first real love though? Or is he?" James sets his book down again and looks into my eyes. "You were... are my first real love, Ellie."
"James. Stop this isn't fair. I loved you truly and you broke my heart. If you didn't break up with me we'd still be together now."
"So you don't really love Daniel?"
"Of course I do! I love him with everything I have."
"Well I love you with everything I have!"
"It's your fault we broke up James! You did that to us not me. You don't get to break my heart then throw a fit when I don't pine after you. I'm sorry you realized this too late okay?"
"You said you'd be there when I realized it."
"I had no idea I'd fall so in love with Daniel. I'm sorry James." We look at each other for a while. His eyes scream that he's hurt and missing me. My mind is screaming at him for ever putting us in this situation.
"I'm still going to love you, Ellie. Probably for the rest of my life. Even when we're older and even if we marry different people. I'm still going to love you the way I loved you the night I first told you." He hops down from the wall then walks off without another look at me.
I sit staring out at the forest. I know I still love James. I know I love Daniel more though. I love Daniel more than I could ever imagine loving anyone. As hard and painful as the heartbreak from losing James was I'm grateful for it everyday because it led me to Daniel. I jump off of the wall and head over to my dorm. That is until I hear my name being called from the forest.