35. A Gentleman

Daniel's pov:
Daniel, here's your official invitation to join my family and I at our cottage for a day or two. I can't wait to see that pleasant parent pleasing version of you again. Hope to see you soon, love Ellie

I can't help but read it a few times over, my eyes always coming back to love Ellie as if it's a confession. Her handwriting is so much like her, beautiful, smart looking, somewhat flirty almost. I take the letter downstairs with me to breakfast.
"Whats that letter ?" Thea, my sister asks.
"It's adoption agency we got you from, I was requesting a swap... again," I joke and get a piece of egg thrown at me in return. Thea of course isn't adopted but I've been telling her she is since she could talk.
"Daniel, how long will you be telling your sister this lie?" My mom sighs and hands me a plate of food.
"For as long as it takes for her to realize it's the truth," I say shrugging. "Mom, one of my friends from school invited me over to her family's house for a couple of days can I go?"
"Her?" Mom spins around. Thea gets a big smirk on her face. "Who is this girl?"
"Her name is Ellie. Elizabeth, but everyone calls her Ellie. She's just a friend mom," I say nonchalantly.
"That's not what I've been hearing," Thea whispers. I kick her under the table.
"Her family will be there every second?"
"Yes, mom. I promise."
"Fine. But make sure you bring something over there," she says. She means food. She always makes me bring food over to someone's house.
"Yeah I will," I say rolling my eyes. Inside though I'm jumping through the roof. I get to see Ellie.
I write back to her after breakfast,
Ellie, I'd love to see you
No I can't say that. I start over,
Ellie, my mom said I could come. See you later today! I'll be on my best behavior.
I stare at the paper. How the hell should I sign this? Love? She did. But she's Ellie she probably says love to everyone. I settle with can't wait, Daniel then send it off with my owl. Packing a bag, I suddenly feel so nervous I could puke. It'd be so much easier if we got to be alone. It's always better when it's just her and I.

Ellie's pov:
I get Daniel's response and feel the butterflies creep back in. How does he have such an effect on me? I already let my parents know he'll be coming. I've been rearranging things in my room to make it look cooler but I end up with everything back in it's original place. Deciding what to wear is usually so much easier with Alli around. I decide to just go with a green sundress.
When I come downstairs I see Mom watching Dylan and Hugo play wizards chest.
"It's barbaric," I say.
"It's boring," she says back. "You look very cute. Is that specifically for Daniel?"
"No! I just... okay it's a little for Daniel." I blush then hide my face in the fridge to look for something to drink.
"Ellie, can I please ask what happened with James?" She stands behind me, arms crossed, face concerned.
"We just broke up, okay? He didn't want to be together anymore so we aren't and now I'm single and it's fine. I'm not trying to date Daniel if that's what you think, I'm not rushing into another relationship okay?" I take a breath then look down at my feet.
"Okay. But eventually, Ellie, I really want the true story," she tells me.
Before either of us can say another word Daniel appears from the fireplace. He looks so good. "Hey!" I say running over and hugging him.
"Hello!" He hugs me back sweetly and then offers me a delightful smelling container of food. "My mom likes me to bring food to whoever is hosting me for the day," he says slightly embarrassed.
"Thank you so much, Daniel it smells lovely. Welcome in," my mom gives him a hug and sets the food in the kitchen.
"Can I show him my room before Dad gets here and makes him feel weird?" I ask my mom and she nods, smiling. "Come on!" I pull his arm and my body feels excited like anything is going to happen in there.
When we get to my room Daniel takes his time looking around, picking up pictures in frames and smiling at how young I am in some of them. He gets to one of me, James, Desmond, and Conor at my birthday party last year.
"I cant really bring myself to get rid of it," I say standing next to him.
"You shouldn't, it's a good memory."
"I wish you could've been there though." He looks down at me with a smile. "I missed you," I admit to him. That smile makes me so weak.
"I missed you more," he tells me. My heart melts a little. "When does your dad get home?"
"Soon."
"Too soon for me to give you a kiss real quick?" He smirks when I pull him down to my face. His lips softly touch mine and my knees try to give out on me. "You're so good at that," he whispers.
We end our kiss, my lips craving more of him. "I guess we should get back downstairs," I say. He lets me lead the way.