21. More Summer Activities

It's been a week since I got home from the camping trip. Dylan and I have been able to go explore Diagon Alley on our own, mom and I have had our own outing, and I forced Dylan to help me make a special anniversary dinner for our parents. Alli is coming over tomorrow to have a sleepover for a couple of nights. I've been getting owls from different Weasley kids about how much fun they had with me and how I should come every year to the camping trip.
Today is especially hot for England. Dylan and I are splashing around in the pond behind the cottage when I remember something. "Hey, Dyl?"
"Yeah?"
"Are you going to go to Hogwarts or Ilvermorny?"
"Umm... well I really want to go to Hogwarts. Mom said she's considering it. I think it's been helping my case for her to see how happy you are here," he tells me.
"I'm really happy to hear you say that. Not that I would've been mad at you if you didn't want to come here you know?"
"No I know! But I already have at least two friends in my class. Lilly and Hugo." Dylan plops on his back and floats around. "Plus it'll be cool to have a bunch of fifth year friends! No one would mess with me."
I smile and lay back in the water. I think I'm actually going to be staying here. It sounds like they're really considering it.

Alli is supposed to be here in a bit so I'm cleaning up my room when I get an owl at my window. I let it in and show it to the treat box I keep for owls.
Ellie! It's come to my attention that your birthday is coming up in August. If you don't mind, the guys and I really want to give you a birthday party at James's house. Please say yes! Your whole family would of course be invited. Let me know as soon as you can. Miss you! Love, Desmond
I smile, remembering how Desmond and Conor wrote down my birthday in Divination one day when we all had to make our own horoscopes. August 25 still felt like a whole away but knowing Desmond (much like myself) he'll have every detail planned. Desmond's birthday is only two days after mine so I write back:
Des, you are beyond sweet for remembering my birthday let alone thinking of planning something in my honor. I will only accept this party if it celebrates BOTH of us. I miss you like crazy so I better see you before then. Love, Ellie
I send off the letter with Desmond's owl and then hear, "Ellie! Alli is here!" from Dylan downstairs. I rush downstairs, nearly falling over the last few steps and practically jump on Alli. We squeeze each other tightly for what seems like a whole minute.
"Oh my gosh you've gotten your nose pierced!" I examine her. "I love it so much! Alli I've missed you so much!"
"You've gotten more tan! You're so gorgeous it's painful! I've missed you even more!" We go in for another hug.
"Mom, Dad this is Alli! Alli this is my mom and my dad, that's Dylan, and over there is baby Amelia."
"It's so nice to meet you all thank you so much for having me!"
"Pleasure is all ours, Alli. You'll be staying either in the guest room or upstairs with Ellie it's your choice," Dad says.
"Oh Ellie we should bunk together like we do at Hogwarts!"
"Yes! I was hoping you'd say that!" I help her grab her bags and take her up to my room. "Desmond just wrote to me," I tell her.
"Is it about your birthday? I told him you would want to celebrate his as well," she says rolling her eyes while I laugh. "So... I saw Daniel the other day in Diagon Alley."
I look over at her with a blank expression. "And?"
"And he seemed very interested in if I were going to be seeing you this summer. Asked about you after I told him yes."
"What does he care? He blew any chance of being friends with me when he attacked James."
"Friendship isn't what's on his mind, love."
"I don't care what's on his mind. I'm really happy with James, he finally said I love you back to me. I'm never going to ruin what I have with James for someone else."
"Not even someone as hot as Daniel?" Alli laughs when I throw a pillow at her. "I'm just teasing! I love you and James together. It'll make our double wedding someday very easy with our grooms knowing each other so well," she jokes.
The next few days with Alli are so much fun. We've painted each other's nails, then Mom's, then Dylan's, then Dad's. We watch scary muggle movies until it's hard to sleep. Mostly it's just fun being around her. She's my sister. I tell her about what Dylan said about wanting to come to Hogwarts which excites her because she has a sister his age coming to school who's nervous about making friends. When it's time for her to go back home we both cry, holding each other in a tight hug.
"I'll be at the party for you and Desmond for sure," she tells me.
"Good. I can't wait. Okay, well please write!"
"I will I promise. Thank your parents for having me again. And I'll let Annalise know she might have her me guaranteed friend at school. Love you, El."
"Love you too, Alli. Bye!" I wave to her before she disappears in the floo powder.
Dad comes in, watching me stare into the fireplace. "You've made some really great friends here"
"Yeah, I love Alli. And the guys of course."
"You really love it here don't you?"
"More than anything."
"Well, I guess it's a good thing we're staying then," he says. I spin around, almost giving myself whiplash. "Mom and I talked it over. We're loving seeing you so happy and it sounds like Dylan wants to be here too. The ministry found a permanent position for me. I got the call yesterday."
"Dad! I- Shit this is amazing!" I run over, jumping into his arms. I can't help but let some tears out which makes him hug tighter. "Thank you so much, dad this means everything to me you have no idea!"
"Yes I do, that's why we're doing it. I love you so much kid." We both squeeze as tight as we can and when he lets me down I run to my mom and attack her with a hug as well.
I write to all of my friends immediately, shaking as I write. Mom uses magic to make copies so I can send them all at the same time without breaking my hand from writing five separate letters. It occurs to me that Scorpius might already be at the Potter house but I'd rather be safe than sorry. My heart swells looking at my family in the kitchen. We're staying for good. I'll be at Hogwarts this coming school year and for two more after that. I'll get to watch Dylan make friends and get sorted. I am so happy it's unreal.