50. Bloodlines

*a couple months later*
I'm standing in a dark, empty hallway. Whispers that I can't quite make out surround me although every now and then I hear my name. I walk down the hallway, the whispers becoming louder now. I look down and snakes are following me, slithering closely to my feet, whispering warnings.
When I reach the end of the hallway there's a door. I hesitate but my hand eventually latches on to the doorknob which is so freezing cold I might get frostbite. Slowly, I turn the knob, my fingers becoming so frigid I'm afraid they'll all fall off and break like icicles. The door finally opens and inside she's waiting for me. Delphini. Only she's not alone. A black haired, pale, evil looking woman is behind her next to a disgusting creature of a human. He's bald, his eyes as red as blood. They all smile a wicked smile at me before raising their wands with a flash of green.

I jump up, awake from my nightmare. My hands shake as I throw my covers off and run for the bathroom before locking myself in and trying to calm myself enough to take a real breath. Right now my breathing is so rapid it feels like fire spreading through my lungs. I sit on the floor and hold my knees to my chest, trying so hard to breathe normally that it's making me breathe even harder. I close my eyes and picture my loved ones. My family, Alli, Albus. My breathing beings to slow. I picture Scorpius, Desmond, Conor. My breath almost feels normal. I picture Daniel and James. I picture their arms around me. I picture their smiles, their laughs, their hair, their hands. And I'm okay.
I come back out to my dorm, lay in my bed and check my notebook. Today is December 12th, Saturday. It's very early morning, no one is awake yet. My last dream was on November 5th. I write the date and the details of the dream then throw the covers over my head and breathe steadily.
When I can't get back to sleep I quietly go downstairs. The common room is of course empty and daylight is just starting to peak through the lake. I sit in the window and watch as the silhouette of a mermaid catches her breakfast.
"I knew you should've slept in my bed last night," Daniel says quietly as he makes his way over to me.
"I feel bad making you share such a small space with me all the time."
"I love sharing any space with you," he says smiling. My heart flutters because that's the smile that helps me breathe. Well... one of them. "What was this one about?"
"I don't wanna talk about it," I tell him honestly. He nods understandingly then pulls me into a hug. "Let's run away together," I whisper while looking out of the window.
"Any time," he says while burying his head in my neck. "I'd go anywhere with you, be anyone you want me to be."
"You're perfect just being Daniel," I say. A sadness takes ahold of my heart. For whatever reason, I feel a tear roll down my face. Daniel picks me up and throws me over his shoulder.
"We're going back to bed," he says. I don't argue. I think I need his arms around me for a while.

December has gone so quickly that I almost feel rushed to pack for winter break. Daniel is going to be joining us for the whole break this time which makes me so happy I could scream. Alli and I kiss each other's cheeks then I watch her leave the room. She's going to Desmond's house on Christmas to celebrate with his family but I'm hoping to have her over for a couple of days.
When I finish packing I accidentally fall on the floor when I try to get my trunk off of my bed. I sigh and lay my head on the floor. When I look over to my right I see something underneath Mara's bed. I strain my eyes to see what it is but need to get on my knees and hands then crawl over to her bed. When I grab it out my finger gets cut on some glass. I drop it on the floor and more glass shatters.
After sucking on my finger I look down at whatever it was. It's a picture in a frame. A picture of a woman with crazy black hair and pale skin holding up a baby to a disgusting creature of a man. My stomach drops to my feet. I grab the photo out of the frame, ignoring the gash I just got in my hand. I run with it as fast as I can to Mcgonagall's office ignoring the fact that Daniel followed me as soon as he saw me running in the common room.
I'm lucky enough to catch Mcgonagall just leaving her office. I practically throw the picture at her, my blood still pouring from my hand. I'm trying to catch my breath when I hear a ripping noise and then Daniel is wrapping my hand up with part of his shirt.
"She's their daughter," I say breathlessly. "Delphini, she's Voldemort's daughter."
Mcgonagall looks at me then the photo then at me again. "It was under Mara's bed."
"Oh dear," Mcgonagall says before disappearing back up to her office.
"Let me see your hand," Daniel says. I absentmindedly hold out my hand for him and then feel a quick sting. When I look down I realize he's used a healing charm on it.
"Thank you," I say then rest my head on his chest. "Voldemort was smart. He knew there was a possibility he wouldn't survive that battle with Harry. So he created another version of himself."
"Yeah that explains why she's after Harry's kids I guess." Daniel wraps his arms around me. It's clear Mcgonagall isn't coming out of her office anytime soon so we make our way back to the common room so I can quickly get my trunk and make it to the train.

On the train I tell the guys and Alli what I've just learned. James and Albus look at each other before both looking down. I can tell this makes them nervous.
"You're going to be okay. She may think you two aren't powerful enough to face her but you already have. And you won. If it comes down to a fight to end her or end you, you're going to win. I know that, and I'll be right by your sides through it all," I tell them both. Albus looks at me with a half smile before going to find Scorpius but James keeps his head down. When he does finally look up I swear I see him give Daniel a knowing look just for a split second.
The rest of the train ride is quiet. Alli has fallen asleep on Desmond's shoulder. Conor and James watch the scenery go by in the window. I've been reading while Daniel lays partway on my lap napping. I turn my attention to James. His strong jaw is relaxed but his eyebrows are furrowed, telling me he's deep in thought. He feels me looking at him so he turns to me.
"What going on in there?" I ask him, tapping his head.
"You," he lies with a smile that's trying too hard. When he can tell I'm not buying it he sighs. "What if she comes to your house again?"
"She wouldn't dare right now, it's way too high risk. Besides my dad is there to help and my mom and Daniel," I tell him. He nods, looking down at Daniel sleeping. His eyes cloud over with concern. Then he turns his head back to the window.

Daniel, Dylan, and I all meet up with my mom outside of kings cross so it's not so hectic.
"Where's Amelia? Daniel was looking forward to seeing her," I ask mom.
"Not that I'm not pleased to see you," he tells her with a big hug that she reciprocates.
"She's at home with your dad," she tells us. "It's so nice to see you three." She kisses all of our heads then rushes us to get into the car.
Daniel sits in the back with Dylan, talking about quidditch and what Dylan wants for Christmas. While I'm up front with mom I rest my hand on her arm. She looks over at me for just a moment with a smile.
When we get to the cottage Daniel helps me with my trunk up to my room. I take the moment alone to confront him on something.
"What's up with you and James? I saw the look you exchanged on the train."
He turns to look at me. I can tell he's faking a smile. "Nothing! I'm sure we're both just concerned about you."
"I know when you're lying to me, Daniel. I know you better than anyone."
"I'm not lying."
"I'm sure you are both concerned about me but that's not what that look was. Plus when you were asleep on the train James looked at you like you were fragile. Like you were his to protect. I want to know what's going on."
"Ellie, it's the first day of break you really want to argue?"
"No I want to not be treated like a child with secrets being kept from me."
"Nobody is treating you like a child."
"You are!"
"No, Ellie. I'm not. Please just get some rest. You've had a long day. You should tell your dad about the picture and get some rest." He walks out without looking at me and I feel my blood boil. I close my door and lay on my bed. Not wanting to come out for the rest of the night, I throw my covers over me and close my eyes.