41. A Small Birthday

Ellie, you have no idea how much I miss you. I'm so glad to hear that your dreams have gone away. Delhi is fun! My cousins are pretty cool. I can't wait to get home though, I want to come over as soon as I possible. Here's a picture of me and Annalise at the Taj Mahal. Miss you so much! Love, Alli
I clutch the picture of Alli waving in front of the Taj Mahal to my heart.
Alli, I love the picture! I miss you even more than you miss me. Daniel arrived a few days ago and we'll be celebrating his birthday today. Here's a picture Daniel took of me swinging on the tire at the pond. I can't wait until I get to see you! Love, Ellie

Daniel and my mom are downstairs laughing with each other. Amelia sees me peaking around the corner.
"Elwee!" Amelia reaches for me. I smile and pick her up.
"Happy birthday, Daniel," I say kissing his cheek.
"Thanks! Your mom and I were discussing what to have for dinner tonight," he tells me.
"Any decision yet?"
"We're stuck between Italian and Indian," mom tells me.
"I vote for pizza," I tell them.
"We knew you would," Daniel says smiling. "Pizza it is," he says.
"But it's your birthday! You have to decide!"
"I want what you want." He takes Amelia from me when she reaches for him. "Pizza sound good little miss?"
"Yes!" Amelia says without knowing really what she's agreeing to. Daniel kisses her head.
"Do you want to go into town?" I ask him.
"Yeah let's go get lunch! Can we bring Amelia?" Daniel looks to my mom.
"You mean I'd get the house to myself? Absolutely!" She laughs with us.

Stratford Upon Avon is a beautiful small town. Daniel is carrying Amelia on one side and my hand on the other. It's a perfect summer day in the town. Muggles out and about with their families, bees buzzing around flowers, little dogs in bicycle baskets. Daniel buys flowers for both me and Amelia. We eat lunch outside on a bench. Daniel looks so happy and at peace. He catches me staring at him while spinning around with Amelia and he gives me a sweet smile. My heart is soaring.
On our way out of town we get my mom some flowers and grab a box of cupcakes for Daniel's birthday celebration tonight. Amelia has fallen asleep on Daniel's shoulder. On our way back home we smell flowers growing in the neighborhood and take pictures of each other by ivy covered walls.
"This is my best birthday yet," he tells me quietly while Amelia snores away on his shoulder. "You're my best friend."
My heart clutches. I look over at him. This beautiful boy of mine.

After we all eat our pizza mom and I light a candle in one of the cupcakes and we all sing happy birthday to Daniel who's turned a deep shade of red.
"Thanks you guys, this is really nice," Daniel says still blushing.
"You deserve it, kid. You've been a great friend to Ellie and it's fun to have you around," Dad says. Daniel smiles down at his hands.
After dinner and dessert I take Daniel outside and sit in the grass together. I lay down with my head on his stomach.
"So I have something for you," I tell him after we've both been quiet.
"What do you have for me?"
"A birthday present." We both sit up. "Close your eyes and hold out your hand," I tell him. He reluctantly does what I say. I take out the bracelet I made him that matches mine. Deep green and black straight lines that I tie around his wrist.
Daniel opens his eyes and smiles. "It matches yours. That's so nice, Ellie. Thank you so much I love it." He gives me a quick soft kiss.
"I'm glad you like it," I tell him. Mine hasn't left my wrist since my last birthday.
We both lay back down. I look up at the stars, my eyes automatically going to the star James named after me. Closing my eyes, I listen to Daniel's breathing.