🌞Chapter 31🌻

🌞🌻

The moment Gulf cried out, Bright was on the ground and a black leather shoes pinned the man's hand.

"Oh!"

"Give it a rest, Bright!"

A shout rang out, rich with charm. It resounded with an astounding depth. Gulf and Bright both turned to look at the same instant.

"I'll overlook everything you've done."

A cigarette between his lips, Mew brushed the hair from his forehead and pressed down unhesitatingly on Bright's hand with his foot.

"Agghh!"

"What are you thinking, waving something as dangerous as this around? If you were unlucky enough for it to go off, your gut would be full of lead."

Mew pressed the red-hot tip of his cigarette into the back of Bright's hand, and watched placidly as Bright screamed.

"Mew."

"Get back!" he roared, and Gulf felt his arms being pinned behind his back in the same moment. "AA!"

AA nodded in silent answer to Gulf's confusion, then turned his eyes to Mew and Bright. He was telling him to stay quiet.

"Boss---"

"Hey, Bright. Do you remember what I told you?" Mew began as Bright groveled before him. "I never forget the guy who killed our man. I said I didn't want the body count to keep rising for no good reason. I said we weren't going to take his life in the heat of the moment. We were going to pay him back another way. Do you remember that?"

Bright was silent.

"This is what I said, isn't it?"

Bright's entire body went rigid.

"I can understand why you would think you couldn't sit by and let your old man get murdered. He was important to me, too. But he told us not to take revenge, to not spill anymore blood in his name."

"I'm sorry!" Bright squeezed his eyes tightly shut, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!"

He pressed his head against the ground, apologizing over and over.

"I wasn't doing any of it for him. I just wanted to accomplish something with my life, since he was the one who saved it."

"You shouldn't be so eager to throw away a life that he saved."

Mew picked up the gun and pressed it into Bright's forehead. Then he pulled the trigger.

"Mew---!"

Gulf screamed out against it in his heart and quickly shut his eyes. The one he pitied was Mew. He didn't want to watch him suffering. But he saw terrible images in his mind.

Mew had acted in an instant, there had been no time to stop him. All Gulf could do was squeeze his eyes shut.

Please, God---

Gulf didn't usually believe in God. But in that instant, he cried out, grabbing at straws.

But nothing happened.

"Click."

Instead he heard Mew's voice.

Gulf cautiously opened his eyes.

Bright's jaw hung open as he stared into Mew's face, the gun still pressed against his head.

Nothing happened.

"From this moment forward, your life belongs to me," Mew said with distaste. He rolled the gun back in his hand and shoved it into his pants pocket. "I don't trash my property without a good reason."

"Boss!" Bright cried.

"This is officially over. But there's one last thing I have to do."

Mew stood in front of Bright and pulled him to his feet.

Then, returning the knife to Bright's pocket, he crooked his finger at Bright for him to come closer. The man took a step forward as ordered, and Mew grabbed his shirt and punched him full-force on the jaw.

Bright sunk heavily back to the ground. He stood up, holding a hand to his jaw in incomprehension.

"Mew!"

"That was for hitting Gulf," Mew said grimly, blowing on his fist. Bright's face was twisted in pain. "Out of all the mistakes you made, hitting Gulf was the worst." His voice, shaking with anger, made that perfectly obvious.

"If he had died, by whatever tiny chance, I would have cut you apart and dumped the pieces in the mountains."

"I'm sorry." Bright bowed his head once again, one hand still pressed against his jaw.

"Don't ever do something that you need to apologize to me for again."

"Yes, boss."

"If you care about me and the gang, then act like it. We're not going to let you get away with lip service. Don't you ever forget that."

"I won't!"

Bright's answer was wrung from the very bottom of his heart. It resonated with Gulf.

"Gulf." Mew turned to look at Gulf. "Do you want to take a swing, too?"

Looking at Mew's face in profile as he lit a fresh cigarette, Gulf couldn't think of anything to say. He shook his head.

"AA," Mew called without turning around.

"Yes, sir?"

"You can take care of the rest."

He spit the words out around the cigarette in his lips. Mew grabbed Gulf's arm and they walked away.

There was no reason to say where they were going or what they were doing.

The strength of Mew's grip showed how he felt. The warmth Gulf felt was Mew's love.

TBC