🌞Chapter 23🌻

🌞🌻

As if sensing his hesitation, the cellphone in Gulf's pocket chose that moment to ring.

Bright stood up and turned away, zipping his pants back. He reached into Gulf's pants pocket and took out the phone. He looked at the screen, then silently held it out to Gulf.

"M." It was Mew.

"You can answer."

Gulf's reaction must have made it clear to Bright who was calling. He threw the phone onto the sofa and walked away from Gulf.

"Bright..."

"You can tell Boss Mew that you're with me and you need help." Bright spoke casually, stopping in front of the window to light a cigarette. Seeing him from behind like this, hunched over, made him look somehow small.

The phone kept ringing.

Gulf picked it up in silence and answered the call. "Hello?"

"What are you doing? You pick up as soon as I call you!"

It sounded like Mew was in a car.

He was the same as always. The sound of his voice made Gulf want to cry.

"Gulf?"

Gulf was surprised by the suspicion in Mew's voice. "Sorry, I---I'm with a coworker right now."

Bright stiffened at this response.

"Well, when you're done there, come to the hotel."

His voice was cheerful, as if something good had happened to him. Gulf wanted to see him---right now, as soon as he could. But glancing once more at Bright's back, he bundled that impulse up silently and pushed it deep into his heart.

There was somethung he had to do before he saw Mew again.

"I'm sorry, but I can't come today."

Bright twitched.

"What? You're going to put some coworker ahead of me?"

His tone was a little aggrieved, but still affectionate. Normally he wouldn't have been so understanding---why was he indulging Gulf, this of all times?

Maybe he was a little drunk.

"Yeah."

"You're quick to admit it."

Gulf treasured this flippant conversation.

"Can you call when you have time again?"

"Of course. In fact, why don't you call me?"

"But I never know when it's okay to call you."

"If it's you, I'll pick up any time. Even if I'm in the middle of a shoot-out."

Gulf knew it was a joke, but at a time like this, all it did was send a chill down his spine.

"Is that going to happen?"

"It was just an example. You can't take ever detail of what I say seriously. Geez."

He heard Mew's tender laugh.

"I love you."

His whispered confession sent thrills down Gulf's spine.

"You, too."

Gulf loved Mew more than words could say. These last two days, he had been forced to face his feelings.

"Don't say another word." Mew cut him off, laughing. "I want to hear you say it in person. Save it for next time."