🌻Chapter 8

🌻

He sucked on a small breath and stared at the man before him cautiously.

When Mew was running late, he always called to tell Gulf himself, or sent AA to tell him. Why would today be the first time he sent a man Gulf didn't recognize? Was it a trap?

"The boss had to take care of some urgent business with AA. He can't use his phone, so he sent me. He told me to say that he's very sorry, but you two will have to go to the Japanese steakhouse together some other time." The man bowed his head deeply as he spoke.

Hearing this finally relaxed the tension in Gulf's mind. The fact that he'd mentioned AA's name, and better yet, the fact that he knew about their plans at the steakhouse meant that this guy Bright might really be someone Mew trusted.

"Thank you."

If Mew wasn't coming, Gulf would just have to drink alone.

"Excuse me, can I have the bill?" He tossed back what was left of his drink and moved to get up. But before he could, Bright sat down beside him and grabbed Gulf's hand.

"Hey---"

"Would you mind staying for a little while longer?"

A single shudder ran up Gulf's spine at the warmth of the man's hand, larger than Mew's and even more powerful.

"Yes?"

"I've heard a lot about you from the boss and AA, Mister Gulf. I've wanted to meet you for a long time. Today I finally have that chance."

Bright spoke calmly, belying the flamboyance of his appearance. The gaze he turned on Gulf now was nothing like the belligerent look he'd had a moment before.

Calmer now, Gulf noticed that Bright was a very handsome man.

"You've heard of me?"

"Yeah, like how you've been friends with the boss since high school, where you work. Things like that. Since the boss is going to be the next leader of Koryu Alliance, he doesn't know a lot of regular people. I think he values having someone like you around."

"Really?" Gulf's embarrassment mingled with his relief. Mew seemingly trusted Bright, but Bright didn't seem to know the true nature of their relationship. Apparently, he didn't realize they were lovers.

"What'll it be?" The bartender cut in at a good moment to get Bright's order, which he gave placidly. "Some Harper's whisky on the rocks."

Bright's hands rested on the bar, giving Gulf a full view of the many gaudy rings decorating his fingers. One hand reached into his jacket pocket.

"Do you mind if I smoke?" Bright tipped the pack of cigarettes out of his pocket and Gulf shook his head. "Would you like one?"

"No, thank you."

"All right."

Bending his head slightly forward, Bright lit his cigarette. White ash fell slowly from the glowing red tip. Bright's eyes followed the rising line of smoke to meet Gulf's eyes once more. His eyes seemed to search deep into Gulf's soul, making him nervous.

"Have you been with Mew and AA a long time?" Gulf asked, trying to escape from Bright's gaze.

"Yes." Bright held his cigarette over the ash tray and flicked off its long line of ash. "They've looked out for me since I was fourteen."

"If you don't mind my asking---"

"I'm twenty-nine."

"Eh?" Gulf spoke without thinking. Bright didn't look that old at all. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound so surprised."