fourteen

i am officially back home and that means writing, writing, and more writing🤨

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: minimal swearing, pregnancy talk, vomiting
word count: 3300

Penelope: "The world has its way with us long before we're born." Annie Murphy Paul.

One month later

Emily woke up with a jolt. The woman's throat was on fire and her stomach felt bubbly as she ran to the bathroom. She dropped to her knees as she emptied her stomach into the toilet bowl. The raven-haired woman held her hair back as she threw up.

Emily coughed the feeling of mucus in the back of her throat up. She shut the toilet bowl as she flushed it. She sat back against her tub and sighed heavily. Emily's stomach must have been upset with the food JJ, Penelope, and her had last night. Maybe a local run down place wasn't the best place for food.

She got up and grabbed her toothbrush. Emily was brushing her teeth when she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. She immediately froze. The woman's eyes went towards the basket of pads, tampons, and other mensural products. Emily's heart started racing as she rinsed her mouth.

"No," Emily whispered and raced into her room. The raven-haired woman searched for her phone before looking at the calendar.

Sure enough, she was a week late.

"Fuck," Emily said and ran a hand through her hair. Emily tried to retrace her steps of where she was four to five weeks ago. Her mind was drawing a blank. The woman looked through her phone and tilted her head back.

She was in Denver for the weekend before coming back. Emily went on her run with Aaron afterwards. The woman shut her eyes tightly.

Emily looked down at the clock and saw it was nine fifteenth in the morning. She tapped the edge of her phone against her chin.

She couldn't go to Andrew. She couldn't go to Aaron.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

Penelope's head shot up at the sound of her phone ringing. She pushed off her eye mask and grabbed her phone. "Please tell me I won the lottery and that's why you're calling. I want sleep and you're ruining—"

"Calm down. It's me," JJ said and chuckled. She grabbed her deodorant. "Emily wanted me to call you. She said she needs our help with some things at her apartment and that it was a nine one one."

"I love Emily. But what the hell. Was the almost molding food and green fairies not enough to settle her until noon," Penelope said and grabbed her glasses. "It's not even ten yet. This is a crime. An actual physical crime—"

"Settle," JJ said and smiled widely. "I'll pick you up in ten minutes so we can go over to her apartment?"

"And coffee please. So much coffee," Penelope said and nodded her head slightly. "I feel like I'm going to pass out when I get up."

"I'll make it a double shot," JJ said and chuckled. The two women hung up the phone with each other. After about half an hour, both of them were on their way up to Emily's apartment.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Emily ran to the door and opened it. Penelope stormed in. The raven-haired woman scrunched up her face as JJ and her locked eyes.

"Emily Elizabeth Prentiss. I love you to death. I really do. And as your best friend it's kind of my job to be there for you at the drop of a pin, but today wasn't the case. I was feeling a little down and decided to have a whole bottle of white wine to myself after the green fairies and moldy Mexican food. I'm pretty sure I flashed the neighbor across the street. He had a beard," Penelope said and shrugged her shoulders. "And then I didn't even get to eat the pizza that I drunkenly ordered."