Chapter 37

Four days pass, District Seven is next.

"I can't do it, Reed." I say while putting my long hair into a braided bun.

She secures the locket around my neck.

"Faith, make their families glad you won."

I nod.

An hour later and I am standing in front of Maple and Barker's families and the rest of their district. I adjust the microphone.

"Maple and Barker were amazing. Not only amazing team mates, but amazing friends as well." I say, but pause because I might cry.

I take a deep breath and continue to recite the speech I wrote and memorized.

"Barker didn't deserve such a horrible death, nobody does, but at least he and Maple shared his last moment together."

I scratch my hand.

"And Maple, I know if I lived here in seven we would've been best friends. She had enough strength and courage for the whole alliance. Her death was my fault, I am so sorry."

I sigh and look at her family, her two little brothers and her mom.

"I could go on and on about these two and the never ending debt I have for them. Please forgive me for standing by and watching your children die."

Barker's mother bursts into tears. I stand there helplessly, staring into the crowd.

"They did love each other, they still do." I pause. "I still do too."

I walk off the stage slowly, but unsteadily.