Chapter 21: Game Plan

It's been five hours in the arena. Barker has been dead just as long. I'd guess it's around seven, dinner time. Everyone is breathing heavily.

"Make a fort, split some bread?" I ask.

They nod. I set my bag down and dig through the deep snow to ground. I use an axe from now on out because the ground is frozen. Ashton and I have dug a nice hole by the time Maple gets down from the tree confirming there is no water nearby. Corala makes a wall around us and I start to camouflage it. Maple lays out two sleeping bags and she surrounds them with the packs.

"We need each other's body heat for warmth."

We all sit down in the hole. I pull some socks over my feet while Ashton divides the food supplies evenly.

"Tonight we will share a loaf of bread, same in the morning. Three of us will carry bars, and one will carry crackers in case they get separated for a meal. I suspect many people will freeze tonight and in the morning we will see how many and make a plan from there." His voice is soft and controlling while he passes the bread to us.

"Sounds good." I say and the girls agree. "One of us will take watch, up in the tree. Throw a pebble down into the hole if there's danger."

"Or just yell." Maple says. "I say we get sleep now, in case we need to run."

"I'll take watch." Ashton says.

He climbs the tree with his weapon and some small rocks. We crawl into the same sleeping bag, and use the other to shelter our faces.

Boom! A cannon goes off. I find Ashton climbing down the tree.

"Froze." He says.

I stand up and take the pebbles. While I am up in the tree, a few more people become death's victim. I climb down the tree to check on my team. We're all alive still. All except Barker, that is. Maple's eyes pop open.

"Let me." She whispers as I hand her the stones.

I crawl into Corala's sleeping bag, she's freezing. I hug her and try to keep her blood flowing. I just shake her awake.

"You're freezing cold."

"Yes, so are they rest of y'all."

Ashton wakes up now, his teeth are chattering.

"We need more blankets." I say and he agrees with a nod. "I'll climb a tree, see if there's anyone nearby."

I pull my mask back up and grab the sunglasses from Maple's face. I am soon forty feet up in the air scanning the arena. There is a fire east at the Cornucopia, probably the Careers. There's more smoke coming from about a mile or two to the south of us. I think there's another camp north the Careers, but I don't know for sure. Suddenly the faces of the fallen tributes appear, along with the Capitol seal. Ten-o-clock. First up is Victor, meaning the other three Careers are out there still. Digit's picture pops up next. Followed by her are Aubrey and Amald, Kiva, Barker, Lacey, Dobbey, Bruno, Peara, Thorn, and Juniper. Someone screams. I scurry back down the tree to find it belongs to Maple, and her sword is out slashing the ground.. I whip my axe out,

"What is it?" I ask.

"Poppers!" Says Ashton's voice in pain.