Chapter 4: The Train

Ashton and I are seated on the train, the one only 'important' people can ride on. It is divided into living quarters for the mentor, the tributes, and the escort, and there is a dining section where I am now. I am sorrounded by food I have never seen before, let alone eat.

Ali notices Ashton staring at the food,"Go ahead." She says and her pink head nods over to the food.

I stand up, following Ashton, and we begin to grab rolls, slices of pie, and arrangements of fruit.

A tall, beautiful woman walks in the compartment. "Hello, children. I'm Reed, your mentor."

I smile at the lady, she's my only hope.

"So, tell me, do you guys want to train separately?"

I shrug and leave it to Ashton.

" I think that's what I want." He says. "I'll leave though."

I nod as Ashton leaves.

"Faith, let's start off by knowing your strengths and weaknesses." Reed smiles at me.

"Well, I am a quick learner. I'm pretty fast I guess. I don't have many survival skills but I do know how to use a whip. I can start a fire, but that might give away my location. I climb trees pretty well. That's it." I say.

"Awesome. I'm glad you have speed and common sense." She replies. "Those are a few of the things we can't teach. Would you like to learn other weapons?"

I nod. "A long range weapon. Maybe axes. Those seem pretty easy, but effective. Throwing knives would be really fun too!"

She laughs. "Okay then! Give me a list of things, and prioritize them and we can go over each of them." I nod, grab a pen and paper and get to work. I eat my food while thinking of things. Reed disappeared a while ago, I think she is working with Ashton. She's super nice, I'm glad I have a good mentor at least. Here's how my list goes.

1. Combat
A. Axes
B. Dagger/throwing knives

2. First Aid

3. Plants (good and bad)

4. Allies.

I give her the list and she reads it. "Good. I was hoping you would have enough common sense to team up with someone. Let's go watch the reapings to see who your up against."

We sit down on the couch in my compartment and flip on the TV. The anthem begins to play. From district one and two careers volunteer. They are all eighteen. No thanks, but they will be a force to be reckoned with. District three provides two 13 year olds. They seem nice, but I want to see their combat skills before I mention anything. The district four tributes are interesting. The boy is a big NO. He cursed when he got picked and punched the boys around him. He is 14. The girl though seems nice. She's my age. She volunteered for a twelve year old without an arm. Sisters I imagine. I want her. I think to myself. I sense Reed look at me and I raise my eyebrows, but don't turn to her. District five is next, two devastated twelve year olds. From the sixth district there's a girl who is a year older than me, and a 12 year-old boy. District seven is interesting too, she is my age and he is 17. District eight and nine are all twelve and thirteen year-olds. Then there's me and Ashton, nothing great about us either. From eleven a fourteen year old boy and a thirteen year old girl. And in twelve there's some more 17 year-olds. I'm going to keep my eye out for district four, seven, and twelve girls. The boy from eleven too.

Reed turns to me,"What do you think?" I grin and we start a strategy plan.