Chapter 26

"For Corala." His voice whispers.

I raise my arm. I aim my axe. Gleam glances up, she knows we are here.

"Now." Ashton pulls his hand back.

Gleam doesn't load her bow, she runs. She is facing us, back pedaling away, until she makes the worst decision of her life. And her last. She turns the other way and my axe finds a home in the back of her neck. I hop from the tree, knowing Ashton has my back. Boom. I pry my axe from Gleam's dead body.

"She's coming!" Ashton hops down from the tree and rushes over to me. "It's just us left."

He gives me a hug and then runs the other way, deeper into the forest. I split to the north, opposite Ashton. My throat is burning, but my face is freezing. I pull my mask up.

"Run for your life!" Raven shouts wickedly.

I stop, turn, and run. The opposite direction I was headed. Towards Raven. She's coming for me. I'm going for her. Now or never. Life or death. Within a second we are face to face, and Raven dives at me. I leap over her body and sprint deeper into the woods. Ashton bursts out of the tree line and I shriek. I know he won't engage me if I don't engage him. I turn the other way again, towards the Cornucopia. I look back for an instant, Raven and Ashton are fighting, she has Ashton in her hands. Her sword is up and my lips are just forming Ashton's name when the canon goes off.