Chapter 12: Lunch

"Lunch is in three minutes. Please head over to the cafeteria if you wish to eat." Says a strong voice over the intercom.

I thank the axe instructor and start making my way over to the lunch room. I notice Peara and Digit are following close behind. Turbo catches up with me.

"Hi." He says.

Even though he is twelve, his voice sounds like he is much younger, maybe eight or nine.

"Hey, Turbo." I reply with a grin on my face. "You wanna sit with me at lunch?"

I want to make him feel good, he doesn't have much time left to be happy. His eyes grow wider and he nods excitedly. Once we get to the lunch room most of the seats are filled. Corala, Maple, Ashton, and Barker are sitting together.

"Come on!" I say guiding the young boy to my friends.

I sit next to Barker, and Turbo is next to me on the other side.

"Hey guys." Says Maple.

"Wait here." I say to Turbo.

Maple and I get in line for the buffet. She gives me a concerned look.

"He doesn't have much longer." I say.

She nods. "You are too nice for the Games."

What does she mean? I am too nice?

"Nice session back there." She says, interrupting my thoughts.

The rest of our table joins the line and we all start talking about our homes, comparing the districts.

"Hey ten!" Says a familiar voice, though I can't name who it belongs to.

I turn to find Raven and Gleam. I half smile waiting for them to keep talking. Maple turns and starts to gather food from the table.

"Can I help you?" Says Ashton.

I forgot he's from ten too, duh.

"I'm not talking to you!" Raven snaps.

She turns to face me and only me.

"You gonna join our alliance?"

I shrug and my eyes dart around the room.

"Then we will see your face up in the sky on day one."

How should I react to that?I look back up to her green eyes.

"Unless I kill you before you have a chance to throw that spear of yours." My voice is low, and serious.

Her jaw drops, surprised I had such a come back up my sleeve. Gleam pulls Raven away from the line. It's taking all the little self control she has to keep from coming at me. Once the Careers are back at their table Ashton starts to scold me.

"What the heck was that? Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

I feel really stupid right now.

"No." I say. "Plus what is it to you if I die?"

I shovel some rice onto my plate. He copies me, but silences. Turbo looks at me with his big brown eyes. Corala and Barker are already up in the line, at the dessert station. I'm putting them in danger. I have to stop. We collect our food in silence and we all sit back down. This time I am sitting between the other girls. I finish my slices of pizza and move on to some pasta. Turbo isn't eating.

"Are you done Turbo?" I ask.

He shakes his head.

"I am to worried to eat."

I nod my head, I'm not gonna force him into anything. I accidentally drop my napkin on the ground and reach down to get it and
I notice something that I will never forget. Maple and Barker are holing hands. Barker is rubbing his thumb across her palm. I pop back up from under the table. I won't say anything, they are obviously trying to hide it. We finish our lunch in silence and when the voice over the intercom says that we must stop eating I say by to everyone head over to shelters.