Chapter 9: Knives

"Hello! I am the knife instructor, Lambion." Says a man with face piercings all over.

"Hi. Teach me all there is to know about knives, throwing them, and fighting with them!" I order.

He smiles and we begin work. We start off with throwing. He shows me some proper form, and I take a swing at it, trying to copy his movements. I'm alright, I am hitting the target each time, but when I try to hit moving targets I struggle greatly. After a half hour I ask to try hand and hand combat before my hour is up. He nods and I take a knife.

He shows me some pointers, "Do you think you are ready to try the robots?"

I nod and pick up another dagger, one for each hand.

"Three of them." I say.

He nods and a life-like robot with a mace, and one with a sword come at me, their weapons ready. There is another robot ten meters away, with a bow in its hand. I throw a knife into it's heart. The second one swings it's mace, but I dodge it by diving to the ground. He stumbles and I kick him to the ground from the dirt. I sense the third robot approaching so I quickly turn around and roll. I push my dagger in its stomach and it falls to the ground. The first robot is still on the ground, so I stick my already bloody knife into its throat. I hear the other robot get up. I raise my arm, aim, and fire the knife into its shoulder, narrowly missing it's heart. I decide to charge in, punching him to the ground, out cold. . Lambion starts to applaud. I brush the hair from my face and take a deep breath. I wipe the blood from my hands, I didn't think the robot would have blood. I suppose it's not real, another one of the Capitol's inventions. I notice Ashton looking at me from the archery station. I thank the trainer and head to the next station on my schedule, but on my way I see Corala.

"Nice session over there!" She begins, but her voice lowers and I see her face drop. "I saw the careers pointing at you. You, my friend, just made your way to the top of their kill list."

"Your welcome." I laugh, "Wanna go over to first aid station with me?"

She nods, "Why not?"