Nightmares

You were having the nightmares again. This time it took place in the past, specifically the battle of Manhattan. The city that never sleeps was dead silent, the only sound that could be heard was the sound of weapons colliding. The sky was dark and blood red, the buildings around you were all dark, not a single light was on. The road was paved with monsters and blood. Did the blood belong to the monsters or demigods? You didn't know. The place was familiar, too real. You were battling a Minotaur. It was fighting with its axe, wildly swinging it. You go for a slice at its side, it was too slow, it connects and it bellows in agony. It pulls back its axe and swings. Right before the blade collides with your neck, you wake up screaming. 

You grab onto your throat, making sure your head was still attached to your body. The images of the terrifying streets of Manhattan fade away, leaving you looking around at the familiar setting of yours and Thalia's bedroom. A sliver of moonlight shone through the blinds, casting a pattern on the floor. You realized you were hyperventilating, you do your best to slow down your breathing. 

You feel something gently touch your arm, you look over to see Thalia staring at you, her face full of concern. She must've heard you screaming. "Nightmares again?" You nod, afraid that this was a dream, and if you spoke you would be sucked back into the battle of Manhattan. Thalia scoots closer to you and brushes the loose strands of hair out of your face. "I get them too." You stare into her electric blue eyes, the thing that reminded you that this was real and not a dream, the thing that kept you grounded to reality. You cuddle up to her, she responds by wrapping her arms around you. You rest your head against her chest as she softly strokes your hair. "What were they about?"

"The battle of Manhattan... I was battling that one Minotaur, the one that almost decapitated me, the one you saved me from." You say as you wrap your arms around her, afraid that if you let go the nightmares would start up again.

She traces small circle designs on your hipbone. "It's okay. You're safe now, I won't let anything hurt you." She presses a kiss to your scalp.

You close your eyes, feeling the familiar feeling of comfort. "Can you sing for me?"

"Mhm. What song?"

"Anything."

The sound of Thalia singing fills the air. She didn't sing loudly, just loud enough for you to hear. You eventually fall back to sleep, knowing that you were safe in her arms.