before you go...just one thing.

"Maybe your heart still stops when you see me
Maybe it's worth another try, a better place, better time..."

In which Broadway rekindles old feelings between past lovers.

—————

"HONEY, I just hate this, seeing you in pain because of yet another guy who's broken your heart," Kourtney says to her best friend. "For fuck's sake, just sign up for this with me! It's one week of Broadway shows, and we'll get lead roles. Isn't that what you've always wanted?"

Nini groaned, flopping back onto the sofa. "Love that lasts, Kourt. Find yourself a good man and stick with him, don't make the same mistakes I did."

"Come on, Neens." She dragged her best friend off the couch and out the door. "One week. We're doing a trial run. Hey, who knows, you could find your Tony there...please?"

Nini reluctantly allowed Kourtney to haul her out of the apartment and wait for her to call a passing taxi.
Ever since Ricky, all her romances (more like scandalous one-month affairs, to be exact) had ended in heartbreak. She'd wondered for a time if she was cursed in love. (She still thought so.)

Backstage, they waited nervously, their lines projected in front of them on a big screen. It was one of Nini's favorite songs which she knew by heart;
"I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story. Growing up with her musical-obsessed mothers, this had always been a childhood classic.

"Nina Salazar-Roberts?" the director called. "You're up next."

She took a deep breath and glanced over at Kourtney, who gave her a smile and mouthed some words of encouragement. With that, Nini walked onstage and looked at the judge. "Start whenever you're ready, Nini."

When she finished, she anxiously looked at the audience's blank expressions as they wrote down on their notes. Finally, the judge who had told her to begin earlier smiled softly. "Well done, Nini."

With a bow, she took a seat backstage to watch the rest of the other hopeful to-be Marias perform and cheer Kourtney on for her audition of Anita.

That night, they went back to their apartment, champagne glasses in their hands. "To us," Kourtney announced.

"To us," Nini repeated.

-

It was a Tuesday night when Kourtney ambushed Nini with the phone, almost causing her to drop the entire laundry basket. "Hello?"

"Miss Roberts, is it?" The voice on the other line sounded a mix of impatient and bundled up giddiness, Nini couldn't decide.

"Yes, this is she." Nini hurriedly tried to juggle both the laundry basket and the phone; as Kourtney was currently silently squealing and following her roommate as they made their way back to the apartment.

"We're sorry to inform you..."

Nini's face fell for a moment, but then another louder voice screamed through the phone. "YOU GOT THE GODDAMN CALLBACK! COME DOWN ON THURSDAY FOR A CHEMISTRY READ!"

(Is this how this works?)

"Holy shit." All the laundry tumbled down the stairs as Nini comprehended what was happening. "I got the callback."