road of realizations

Set in mid-1930 Texas, a young couple struggles with the possibility of getting evicted from their home and the stress of life during the Depression. He stuck toiling twelve hours at the only job left, and her, tending to the farm but wanting adventure in the great wide somewhere. After he gets fired, the two of them are trapped in their own loveless marriage and constant fights.

Based on Revolutionary Road, which I watched right after Titanic (and cried just as much). Also inspired by Mary Poppins Returns and Kit Kittredge's books.

May contain some mature language, sorry! 

If you listen to the song above as you read this chapter, it will be a lot more emotional.

The house:

———Present Day———

———Present Day———

If you asked the locals around the small Pasadena area of Houston who the Bowens were, you'd be directed to a large, rural area and they'd tell you the tragic history that haunts the land.

The tale would usually go something like this.

-----France, 1922-----

A young lad, the age of sixteen, went to a play with his friends. It was a classic, A Midsummer's Night Dream.

He needed something to help him get his mind off the death of his father, a World War I soldier. He'd been tragically killed in the Battle of the Somme, and the last place he'd wanted to visit was France. However, his friends were very persuasive.

The boy couldn't help but become mesmerized by the lead actress playing Hermia. Her light wavy hair falling just below her waist, her emotive brown eyes that revealed each detail of the play to the audience.

Afterward, he went to the cast party and saw her in the corner, drinking some champagne and laughing with her friends.

He'd always been a bold one, as his estranged mom put it. He strolled over to her confidently. "Greetings, my lady."

He lightly kissed her hand, which he thought seemed like the right thing to do. After all, it was the polite thing to do if he was a Frenchman.

"Oh, hello," she said, taking a seat with him at the table. "I'm Nina Salazar-Roberts, but you can call me Nini."

"Nini," Ricky said, savoring the way the words felt on his tongue. "You were great at the play tonight."

She blushed. "Thank you," she said. "What's your name?"

"I'm Ricky Bowen," he replied. "I'm a musician, and I play on the streets for coins. I've traveled the world, and I've always been looking for a place to call home. How about you?"

"That sounds marvelous," she gushed. "I don't exactly live in France, I'm just part of this acting caravan. We put on shows around France, but I've always wanted to visit Asia and the other parts of the world."