just believe we can do this

Ever since she was diagnosed with cancer, Olivia's never been the same as before. The only joy she has left in life is volunteering at the animal shelter every weekend. When she meets Joshua, a fellow animal lover, and a musician, she thinks he's the craziest and most interesting person she's ever met. They form a strong bond and slowly find themselves falling for each other. However, massive obstacles await the young couple. Love is the strongest force on earth, but can it conquer death?

Slightly based off on "star after you" by @ourmoonlight_ and the movie, I Still Believe.

Yes, I've gone back to writing angsts. You're welcome.

September 2021

"Honey, it's Saturday! C'mon, you've got ten minutes!"

Olivia Rodrigo came downstairs, an excited grin on her face. She went to the fridge, poured some milk into a glass, chucked it down, washed her mouth, and grabbed her backpack to leave. Before she left, she put on her favorite bucket hat and waved goodbye to her mom. "I'll be back by 12!"

Saturday was Olivia's favorite day of the week. She loved visiting and volunteering at the local animal shelter, especially playing with the puppies.

"Morning, Olivia!" Gracie, the woman at the front desk, said happily. "The new litter has been waiting to see you all week."

Liv tipped her hat and smiled at Gracie as she began to make her way towards the puppy kernels. Today, something was different...or rather—someone.

There was a curly-haired boy, about her age or slightly older. He was playing with one of the new puppies from last week's litter.

He saw her looking at him with a small smile on her face and immediately stood up, holding out his hand for her to shake.

"Hi, I'm Josh. And you must be?"

She didn't answer and began to feed one of the dogs.

"Alright, I guess you're not the handshake type. High five?"

She didn't slap his hand.

"Well, guess you're not a high-five person either."

He kneeled next to her and watched as she opened the kernels, and all the puppies jumped on her. She shrieked and laughed in delight as she was smothered in puppy kisses.

"They really like you," he smiled.

October

Even though she was rather quiet, Josh talked to her a lot over the next few weeks, although he'd given up on hoping to receive an answer.

"I have five sisters, my dad's a pastor, and my mom's a teacher. I also love animals. At home, I have about two goldfish and one cat I named Petey, after Pete the Cat. I remember I had a dog when I was five, except he ran away at a family picnic. I hope he's in a better place now, though. I write songs a lot, and I like to take pictures."

"Yesterday at dinner, my sister Claire snorted milk out through her nose! My mom told her to clean it up, but even she was laughing! Then my other sister Ashley secretly fed the cat some of Mom's tuna salad, but then Dad found out, so he wanted to join in. In the end, no one got dessert."