quite the excellent poet

Ricky has loved Nini for longer than he could know. Imagine his surprise when she introduces him to her new boyfriend.

In this one, Ricky is a poet, not a singer/songwriter.

"Hey, Neens!" Ricky said, slinging her backpack over his shoulder. He tossed them in the backseat of his car. "How was the party yesterday?"

"Eh," she shrugged. "I just had to go to keep up my reputation. I didn't really like it, because it was just a bunch of horny teens getting drunk. You would not believe the number that said they dropped something last time in the guest bedroom."

Ricky chuckled. "Come on, let's get to school. We wouldn't want you to get a tardy slip, Princess."

Nini climbed into the passenger seat and grabbed the aux cord. "Not Taylor Swift-"

"Taylor Swift!" Nini exclaimed. As a random song blasted out, Nini sang along loudly, causing all the other cars on the street to stare. Ricky chuckled. It was something he was used to. As much as he hated being stuck listening to Taylor Swift all day, he would move earth and heaven to see his best friend happy.

Wait, do I like-like Nini?

I do.

I love her.

They finally got to school, and Nini hopped off. "Thanks for the ride, Ricky! Bye!"

She grabbed her backpack and dashed off, Ricky staring after her dreamily.

"Ricky, meet my new boyfriend, EJ Caswell."

Ricky smiled, but it didn't quite seem to reach his eyes.

"Hi, nice to meet you, I'm Ricky Bowen, Nini's best friend."

That night, Ricky sat in his treehouse with his guitar, staring at the sky. He'd always been fascinated by the concept of stars. They were
tiny balls of light from heaven seen from the earth.

Suddenly, he was interrupted by the sound of giggling and laughing from below. Ricky looked down, and his heart sank.

There were Nini and EJ, strolling along the block, laughing and talking together. Ricky felt a pang in his heart.

When he dropped her off at her door and their lips touched, Ricky couldn't bear it anymore.

He cried. He let out big, racking sobs. He wondered if Nini would come up next to him and comfort him like she did when his parents divorced. But no, she didn't pay any heed to him anymore. She had a new guy, and her best friend was a thing of the past.

——The Next Day——

"Poetry contest, people! Contest open, entries are due December 10th."

Ricky grabbed a flyer from the stack on the desk.

He knew exactly what to write.

—-Two months later—-

"The winner of this year's East High poetry contest is..."

Ricky was too distracted with seeing Nini and EJ sitting together in the back row.

"Ricky Bowen!"

Applause rang around, and Ricky was dumbstruck. "What, I won?"

"Come up here and read your poem to us!" Principal Gonzalez said, inviting the boy up to the stage.

He was handed his entry for the contest, and Ricky began to read.

"We've been friends since we were kids
When we barely knew how to talk.
We grew up together, her door next to mine,
In the little street with the large sycamore."

"As we grew,
My feelings did too.
I suddenly realized that I loved her,
But then she showed up,
A new guy wrapped around her finger.
It absolutely killed me
To see how she looked at him with that sparkle in her eye."

"I know jealousy isn't a good feeling,
But how can I make it go away?"

"Can I be him?
The one your arm is around,
Can I be him?
The one whom you look at that way,
Can I be him?
The one that your soft lips touch
Can I be him?"

"I know I'm nothing more than just your best friend,
But just know, I'll love you more and treat you better than he ever does,
If you ever give me a chance,
I'll be waiting here."

Ricky finished speaking, and everyone clapped. Principal Gonzalez clapped him on the back. "Very deep," he said.

"Woah, dude, you won a hundred dollars!" Big Red exclaimed. "Also, that poem was deep. Seriously."

Everyone came up to offer words of congratulations, but Ricky was focused on only one person in the crowd: Nini. She streaked out of the cafeteria, leaving a dumbstruck EJ behind.

Ricky broke free from the crowd and darted out of the room. He knew just where Nini was.

Her earbuds plugged in, she was sitting on a heap on the rooftop garden. Tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Hey, Neens, you okay?"

"What was that poem about?"

Ricky took a seat next to her, his large hand on her delicate one. "If I'm being honest? It was about all my feelings for...you."

She sobbed. "I'm sorry I blew you off all the time," she said.

Ricky gently wiped away her tears with his thumb, like he did when she pulled her tooth out of its sockets. "I'm sorry too, for being jealous."

They embraced, and Ricky smiled. "Does this mean we're on for a movie Friday night?"

Nini grinned. "The Greatest Showman?"

"Whatever makes you happy, princess."