lifetimes (alternate ending)

Olivia looked out at the crowd of people gathered and was met by a pair of warm, hazel eyes. Even after all these years, he hadn't changed.

He looked at her and smiled sadly, nodding. That look was what did it for her. At that moment, she realized, she could never be happy with Adam. They could never make each other happy, and he deserved more than just being settled for.

"I'm sorry, I can't do this," Liv said, dropping her bouquet as she ran out of the room.

The room filled with noises of surprise and shock. Adam just stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to do. While everyone was too busy panicking, Josh took it as a diversion to run after her. He raced to the nearest ice cream shop and saw her inside, sadly eating her strawberry ice cream.

"What was that?" Josh asked. "Why'd you just run out of there?"

"I don't know...I just realized at the last minute that I don't think we'll ever be able to make each other happy. I can never truly love him the way that I loved...If I married him, we'd be like April and Frank Wheeler, constant fights, separate affairs, and then we'll be trapped in our marriage. One day, we're just going to snap and then regret everything."

"The truth is, I never loved him...not in that way. He was kind of just someone to help me take my mind off of my previous relationships. I don't know why the hell we even decided to get married," she chuckled, stabbing her spoon into the ice cream.

"Well...I think that you should talk to him later, at least give him a decent explanation why you left," Josh said slowly, considering his words. "And, only if you want it, we can have a fresh start. Not as romantic partners or anything, just friends. At least not avoid each other for about half a decade."

She laughed, and he could see sparkle in her eyes hadn't faded yet. "I'd like that."

Inside, they always pined for more, but for now, it was a step forward, it was a good start.

—————

One, I was uninspired to write any of my drafts. And two, y'all asked for it. @joshyrodrigo @niniukegirI Whooo, 91st chapter! Any requests?

Keep reading. Keep writing. Keep dreaming.

-V