Chapter 43: Wedding Jitters

"Jung Sook? What's wrong, my love?"

She chuckled anxiously. "Your sister asked me if I was nervous today."

"Did she?" He drew her hand up to his mouth, and his lips lingered on her skin. Sending a shiver down her spine. "And are you?"

"At first, I told her I wasn't. Because I wasn't. Not about our wedding ceremony, at least. I didn't fear speaking my vows to you."

He stilled. And his eyes met hers. "What do you fear, Jung Sook?"

"It's silly really. After all I've been through."

"What is?"

"The nerves."

He brushed his lips delicately across the back of her hand again. "Is it?"

She quirked one lovely eyebrow at him. "What?"

"I don't think it's silly to fear the unknown."

She stared at him.

And his lips continued to minister his sweetness to her. "But I hope you don't fear me, my love."

"Oh, no! Soo Ho, I could never fear you. You are...my hero," she breathed as tears filled her eyes.

His gaze crashed into hers. "Am I really?" he whispered in astonishment.

"Surely, that cannot come as a surprise to you! You saved my life! And Bo A's."

"Ah, yes. I did. But..."

"But what?"

"I am but a man, of course."

"But what a wonderful man you are! And you are the man who convinced me that some men are good. And safe. So I could never fear you, my love."

"So, what do you fear?"

She crumpled her brow. "I do not know. The unknown. Pain, perhaps."

"Mmm. You know that I would never hurt you, Jung Sook. Not intentionally. I know you're going to experience some discomfort tonight. But, hopefully, it will fade quickly. And you can enjoy what I'm about to do with you."

She bobbed her head. Nervously. She could feel that anxiety bubbling up from deep inside her. Though she tried zealously to push it back down. How she hated it! She wanted to enjoy tonight. To revel in her closeness to Soo Ho.

But she had another fear. One that she hadn't shared with anyone. She was afraid that something tonight would remind her of her first wedding night. And she didn't want it casting a shadow on her relationship with Soo Ho.

He tugged gently on her hand then, drawing her towards him. They were standing in the hallway outside their bedroom doors. He bent his head and brushed his lips softly across hers. Then he murmured a question.

"Which room, Jung Sook?"

She drew away. Her brow furrowed. "What?"

"Whose bed do you want to sleep in tonight? Yours? Or mine?"

She stared at him. Soo Ho was giving her a choice.

This right here was the reason that she loved him so much. No man had ever given her a choice. Not until she'd met Soo Ho.

Her first husband had told her what she was going to do. And when she was going to do it. And how she was going to do it. And if she failed to please him perfectly, then he was going to punish her. Severely. For her imperfections. Just as her father had.