Chapter 32: The Condition

"I will agree," Ban Ryu finally spoke. "On one condition."

Soo Yeon's appa quirked a dark eyebrow. "Are you really in a position to insist on a condition?"

"I am." He held the older man's gaze steady. "I will not cheat your daughter out of a proper proposal."

"Ah." Lord Kim Seub smiled suddenly. "I will agree to your one condition."

Ban Ryu inclined his head. "Thank you, my lord."

Her father frowned as he noticed fatigue creeping into Ban Ryu's countenance. "I imagine that today has been a trying day for you."

"My lord?" Confused, the young man wrinkled his brow.

"Surely, being kissed by my daughter tested your patience. And facing me must have stressed you."

Ban Ryu twisted his lips. "Truthfully, my lord, it's my leg. It's bothering me quite a bit."

Concerned now, Lord Kim Seub glanced down at his thigh. "Should I call the doctor? Have him bring you some more pain medication?"

Ban Ryu shook his head. "No. I just need to rest." He began to slide down the bed. But he grimaced as pain shot through his leg.

"It's truly troubling you, isn't it?"

Ban Ryu caught his gaze. "My lord, did the surgeon speak to you about my leg?"

Furrowing his brow, the older gentleman queried, "He simply told me that it was mending well."

"He didn't imply that I might end up...lame?"

His forehead smoothing out as understanding dawned, Lord Kim Seub shook his head. "He never implied that. He seemed to think that – as long as you rest properly and allow it to heal – that you'd return to normal."

Ban Ryu winced. "I have such a hard time believing that."

"Son, it was a deep wound. Of course, it's going to take time to heal."

The young man heaved a deep sigh in distress.

"You must be terribly bored stuck in this room." The nobleman glanced around. "You're such an active young man usually. Would you like something to read?"

"No, my lord. Thank you. I find it hard to concentrate."

"The pain is still pretty intense, huh?"

"Only if I move," he grinned ruefully.

"I will continue to allow my daughter to distract you then."

Ban Ryu's eyes collided with his. "My lord?"

The older gentleman laughed. "I'm not sure that we're thinking the same thing."

"Well, we are engaged to be married now," Ban Ryu pointed out cheekily.

Her father cleared his throat. "I still expect you to treat her honorably, young man."

"Yes, my lord," he chuckled.

"I shall let you sleep...if you can. I'll stop by to visit you tomorrow."

"My lord?" Ban Ryu wondered why Soo Yeon's appa would want to chat with him again.

"I'm to mentor you, remember?"

"Ah, yes," the young man responded uncertainly.

"You have much to learn. And, perhaps, to unlearn," the older man murmured thoughtfully. "I will come visit you after lunch."

"I'll see you then, my lord."

Ban Ryu leaned back and relaxed once her father closed the door behind him. A moment later, a nurse entered the room. And he grinned. He couldn't wait until Soo Yeon could occupy this bed with him. Without a chaperone.