Chapter 41: The King is Coming

His prayers, as it turned out, were all answered. Their wedding day dawned bright and clear. As did his sinuses.

"I can breathe!" he exclaimed as he rolled over in his bed.

He reached out and slid his hand across the mattress.

Would Soo Yeon be spending the night here with him tonight? Or would he accompany her to her rooms?

He had no idea. They had yet to discuss this topic.

A knock sounded on his doorframe. He rolled over and glanced up to meet Soo Ho's gaze.

"Hey, sleepyhead. Time to roll out of bed. We've got a wedding to attend today. Are you ready?"

"Ready? To marry Soo Yeon? Of course, I'm ready! How about you?"

"I was ready months ago. I can't wait to make Jung Sook mine!"

They grinned knowingly at each other.

"So...any idea where I'm spending tonight?" Ban Ryu asked nonchalantly.

"Um. With your wife?" Soo Ho quirked one dark eyebrow at him.

"I meant which room. Hers or mine?"

"Ah. Yes. I would imagine that you're moving into her rooms." Soo Ho glanced around his sparse surroundings. "They are much nicer than yours."

"How about you? Are you keeping your rooms or sharing Jung Sook's?"

A blank expression suddenly clouded Soo Ho's face. "Uhhh. I haven't the slightest idea. We haven't discussed it. Hmm." A frown darkened his brow. "I don't really care to give up my rooms. But she might not want to give up hers either."

"Well, then don't. Maybe you can take turns. Sleeping in her bed one night. And yours the next." Ban Ryu had a playful grin tugging at his lips. "Are your rooms anywhere close to each other?"

Now Soo Ho was the one grinning. "Right next to each other."

"Ah. I see your mother had this all planned out."

Soo Ho nodded. "She probably did."

"So..." Ban Ryu slid a sly glance his way. "Have you really not visited Jung Sook's rooms?"

"On my honor, I have not!" Soo Ho answered, standing up straight.

Ban Ryu studied his innocent expression. "And Jung Sook? Has she visited your rooms?"

Soo Ho's gaze slid away from him. "Umm. Well, actually, she has."

"I knew it!"

"But not for what you're thinking," Soo Ho suddenly rebuked his friend with a dark scowl. "She stayed with me while I was recuperating. But she made sure a maid was with us the whole time," he grumbled.

And Ban Ryu laughed. "Apparently, your sister is more adventurous than your bride!"

"Hey! Don't make me call you out on our wedding day!"

Ban Ryu snickered and shook his head. "Relax. I haven't done anything but kiss your sister. And that was days ago. She hasn't let me touch her in four days!"

"Well, of course, she hasn't! What bride wants a cold on her wedding day?"

Ban Ryu grunted. "It was just the tiniest of colds."

"Sure, it was," Soo Ho responded knowingly. "And just how much porridge did you have to pour down your gullet?"

Ban Ryu grimaced. "Don't remind me. And promise me that there is no porridge on the wedding menu."

"There is not. I spoke directly with the cook myself." Suddenly, Soo Ho beamed widely at his friend.

"What?" Ban Ryu asked suspiciously. "What are you grinning about?"

"I am grinning because there is steak on the menu. Lots of steak!"

"Praise be to God!" Ban Ryu ejaculated. He leaned back against the wall and sighed with relief. "If I have to eat another bowl of porridge, I'm going to turn into a grain of rice."

Soo Ho chuckled. "That makes two of us! Today we will enjoy steak, and cake, and our lovely ladies, of course."

They both grinned at each other once more.

"Well, come along. We need to go. We're meeting Dan Se, Seon Woo, Yeo Wool, and Jin Heung."

"The king is coming?" Ban Ryu asked, surprised. He slid out of bed and reached for his robe.

"But, of course. Did you really think that he would miss the weddings of two of his hwarang?"