Chapter 5: Irresistible

Ban Ryu had waited a long time for Soo Yeon to arrive. And the longer he waited, the more he considered how undeserving of his precious girl he was. He was turning towards the gates when her voice suddenly surrounded him.

"Ban Ryu! Ban Ryu!"

He glanced back to see her running down the road towards him.

"I'm sorry that I'm late. Eomma required my assistance with something, and I couldn't get away!"

She came to a crashing halt in front of him. And peered up into his face with such an angelic countenance that he leapt forward and dragged her up against himself as his arms enveloped her, drawing her close. He buried his head in the crook of her neck and inhaled her pleasing fragrance.

Clementines.

How he had missed that scent! And these soft arms. And this precious breath now dancing in his ear. That golden smile. And those shining eyes. Her pretty, pink cheeks always blazing with color at the sight of him.

How could he contemplate a life without her?

Or the notion that someday she would belong to another?

He squeezed her tight. Without realizing it.

"Ban Ryu! I can't breathe," she gasped.

He loosened his hold immediately. "I'm sorry," he whispered into her ear.

But he was apologizing for so much more than she would ever guess at.

"It's all right," she beamed up at him as she glanced into his eyes. "Come."

She drew back and reached for his hand, dragging him farther down the road. Until she'd found a place of seeming privacy. Hiding behind a thick hedge of trees, they were now concealed from the view of passersby.

"How I missed you!" she exclaimed.

Right before she stood on tiptoe to plant her lips against his. Stunned, he endured that innocent kiss for several seconds. Which, ultimately, were far too brief.

She drew back and gasped in her soft voice, "You must come see me this week! Appa has been called to the palace for meetings every day. He's been gone all day long for several days. And he has promised that the talks will continue this week. Soo Ho said that you're on a break, so you can come to me!" She grinned at him, the light of her sunny personality bouncing off her white teeth.

"Um, Soo Yeon, I don't think it's a good idea for me to meet you anymore. Especially not at your house."

"No!" she gasped. "It's fine. Eomma will be at the school this week. She's been helping Jung Sook with a project."

She giggled suddenly. "Who knew that my mother was such an intellectual? But it's so much fun to see her put all those bratty girls in their place!"

She was chuckling now. "Anyway...my point is that we will be virtually alone if you come during the day."

She gazed longingly up at him. And batted those pretty eyelashes of hers. And Ban Ryu was, of course, a goner. He had never held any power against her. She was quite simply...irresistible.