Chapter 15: Taking Turns

Ban Ryu slept for the next few hours. And her mother encouraged Soo Yeon to head to bed around sunset.

"You look utterly exhausted, darling. I'll watch over him for a few hours. Then I'll send a servant to rouse you."

Soo Yeon stubbornly shook her head. "No, Eomma. I could not possibly sleep right now."

"Sweetheart, the surgeon is going to stay with him throughout the night. He can surely do more for Ban Ryu than you can. Get some rest. The boy is going to need you to distract him when he wakes up tomorrow."

Her mother's gentle voice was doing little to soothe her. "I will not leave his room."

"Then I am going to have a yo bed set up in the corner of this room. And you are going to lie down on it. I promise to wake you if something changes."

Reluctantly, Soo Yeon finally agreed to this arrangement. And sooner than she would have believed possible, she drifted off to sleep. As her mother watched over both her and the object of her affection.

––

Soo Yeon awoke to faint sunlight streaming through the windows. She blinked, not recognizing the room she was in. Or the hardness of the mattress beneath her. It was almost as if she were lying on the floor with but a slim pad protecting her from its cold. She reached out and slid her fingers over that thin mattress. And the events of the previous evening flooded her mind. She instantly sat up straight. And turned her head towards his bed.

"How is he?" she gasped.

Her mother turned to smile at her. "He is still sleeping. The doctor didn't rouse him last night. Though we did clean his wound a couple more times. Somehow, he slept through it."

"Is he still burning up?" Soo Yeon queried as she scrambled to her feet and flew towards his bed.

"He is still warm. Though not as bad as yesterday, I think."

"He needs to take his medicine now," the doctor interrupted their discussion. He glanced at Soo Yeon. "If I wake him, can you get him to drink it?" He had marveled at the patience which she had exhibited yesterday in coaxing the young man to down his medication.

She nodded. Then she turned towards her mother. "Have you been awake all night long, Eomma?"

That fine lady bobbed her head. And yawned.

"Eomma! Go to bed! I will take care of him today. Sleep well. You can relieve me again tonight."

Lady Bit Na beamed up at her child before standing up herself. She leaned forward to kiss her daughter on the forehead. "All right, Soo Yeon. But promise me that you will take care of yourself too. You must keep up your strength...for his sake. Make sure that you eat every meal that is brought to you today. And drink lots of water. And rest as much as possible."

Soo Yeon bobbed her head enthusiastically. "I promise, Eomma!"

She watched as her mother turned to walk out the door before her eyes met the surgeon's. "I am ready, sir. Tell me what you need."

"I'm going to disinfect his wound again."

She winced as she anticipated her beloved's violent reaction. They spent the next hour draining his wound, disinfecting it, packing it, and wrapping it. And Soo Yeon administered his medication during that period too. Her arm firmly embracing his shoulders. He was panting in pain when she first touched him. But the medication soon took effect, and he slipped into a fitful sleep.

"No!" he suddenly cried out. "No! You can't kill them! They're innocent people! They didn't do anything to you!"

Disturbed by his distress, Soo Yeon leaned forward and touched his cheek. She was startled a moment later when his hand suddenly snapped up and his long, slender fingers wrapped tightly around her wrist. He surprised a squeak out of her as he yanked her towards him. She fell forward, landing on top of him.