When You Say These Things

Brad didn't answer his bedroom door straight away. Luka thought he might have actually fallen asleep, and thought about leaving it until the morning. She thought about knocking one more time.

Just as she raised her fist again, the door swung open.

Brad looked at her, and she noticed his expression shift from surprise to suspicion.

"Thought you were out." He said bluntly, his hand moving from the handle to the edge of the door as he leaned on it.

"I've been informed we need to talk." Luka stated. Brad looked at the floor. "You gonna leave me to stand outside like an idiot?"

Brad licked his bottom lip, then gestured for her to come in. Luka walked over to the bed, sitting on the edge and immediately crossing her legs. Brad closed the door, but didn't move any closer. The main light was off, but his curtains weren't closed all the way, letting in a small stream of moonlight. Luka shifted her gaze between the shirtless boy at the door, and the floor.

"So...what are you here to talk about?" He finally asked, making Luka look up at him.

"I'm not entirely sure." She shrugged. "Find out about you being weird, I guess."

"I'm not-"

"Most of the night, actually, yeah you have been weird. And particularly at the end." Luka stood up, her voice finding its confidence.

"That's not-"

"So I want to know if you being weird is something that's happened with you, or if you were being weird because I was talking to someone else."

Brad looked to the side, exhaling loudly before rubbing the back of his neck. He stepped forward.

"Look," he sighed. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get that ... weird."

"Why did you?" She responded. When he didn't reply, she prompted him again. "Why did you get weird?"

"It...it's complicated."

"Was it something that happened to you?"

"No."

"So it was something I did?"

"I didn't -"

"Just tell me Brad." Luka's voice raised slightly, and Brad rushed to step forward and shush her. "Oh, I doubt the others are asleep, they're probably on the other side of the door, listening."

Brad looked at her, knowing she was probably right, but not thinking anymore about it. Because now they were directly in front of each other.

He was ready to tell her on the dancefloor three ish hours ago. Well, either tell her or ask her how she felt. Now here she was, in his room instead of with that guy, asking him to tell her what's going on. And he didn't want to lie to her.

He moved round her and sat down on the edge of the bed, leaning his elbows on his knees and fiddling with his fingers.

"I didn't like seeing you with that guy." He explained, his voice low and almost missable. She turned around to face him, asking him to repeat what he said, and not because she didn't hear it. When he didn't, she scoffed.

"Personal relationships weren't in my contract. I assumed they were allowed. Am I not allowed to see people?" She looked down at him.

"I...yes if...if that's what you want." He said, his teeth clenched.

"So why won't you let me?"

"That wasn't seeing people, you were going to have a one night stand!" He said, a little too loudly.