(29) the change

Ivory's POV:

I don't know how long I was out for but I was in excruciating pain, it felt like my limbs were being ripped apart and then being stitched back together again in the wrong place. But in the midst of all the pain something warm comforted me, like that time a few years ago when I first got to the compound. I don't remember much from that night apart from darkness and pain then...warmth.

Slowly I open my eyes, Its still dark out from what I can tell, I turn over expecting to see a clock but instead I find Loki hanging off the side of the bed. Right, I'm in Asgard...

I go to try and get up but my legs don't work with me so when I peel the covers of my sweaty body and go to stand up my legs give out right under me and I fall to the ground. I managed to catch myself using the bed but my lower half wasn't so lucky and made a thudding sound when I fell. Crossing my fingers, I hope that Loki's still asleep, he's been looking after me for too long. He needs a brake and needs to rest. Sadly when I look over he's awake and has a shocked expression, "Uhh morning?" He lets out a sigh of relief and starts walking over to me, I skid backwards a little. "No I probably smell bad, I'm really sweaty..." I admit slightly embarrassed. A soft smile forms on his face and he continues to walk over to me, "Little bird, we both know I do not care for such things. I've seen you in a worse state than you being sweaty." I give him a pleading look. He rolls his eyes and picks me up, "Relax I'm taking you to the bathroom for you to bathe. No maids are awake at the moment so I can help if you wish." He grins as we walk into the bathroom. I frantically wave my hands "I am quite alright! If you really want, you can help after I'm bathed, my legs still aren't working with me." I chuckle as he sets me down on the edge of the tub. Loki starts examining my legs as if searching for something, soon a big goofy grin forms on his face, "The process has begun my dear. Your body is turning into an Asgardian one" I didn't even realise that he had filled the tub with warm water, he kisses my forehead and leaves the room. He's probably sat on one of the couches with another book.

I struggle to get out the bath but in the end I managed to pull myself out of the tub, foolishly I try to stand forgetting completely about the current situation with my legs. As you can imagine, I fell...Not my smartest move. Thankfully I had a towel over me because Loki came bounding in when he heard a second thud within 1 hour. I wave from the floor, which was really nice and cool to lay on, he shakes his head as he chuckles a bit before he walks over and picks me up. He places me on one of the seats then uses his magic to give me a new set of pyjamas. "Thanks Loki!" He nods, "No problem my little bird."

The day passes but not without me crying out in pain for the majority of it, sleeping was a struggle because of the random waves of pain as well. I sit up from the bed and look over to Loki who looks like he's been through hell. "Loki...." He looks over to me, "Bring me Thor, trust me okay?" He tries to argue with me but I'm too stubborn for him to say no. Five minutes later he re-entered the room with his brother in tow, loud and cheerful as usual. "Hello Ivory!" Loki smacks him around the back of the head "Lower your voice you oaf." I playfully roll my eyes and have them sit down. "Now before we start you have to promise to listen through to the end whether you like it or not." They nod, "Good. As you know Loki has been looking after me for the majority of this trip but Thor has gone off and done whatever he wanted. But also because of me now transitioning into an Asgardian I need a bit more help than usual so, for the next few days Thor will be looking after me whilst Loki rests for a bit." I point at Loki, "Meaning, no staying up or coming running if you hear me scream or cry, no helping me with daily tasks. For two days it will be Thor's job, alright?" Thor nods, obviously more than happy to spend some time with me again but Loki doesn't look as happy. He eventually agrees but I have no doubt he will sneak in to check on me.

Thor's POV:

Lady Ivory's idea wasn't a bad one, brother had looked like he had been through Helheim (their version of hell), he needed to rest. I wasn't against the idea as much as Loki was but I have no clue on how to care for her. "Loki?" I knock on his chamber doors, surprisingly they are swung open. "Is she okay?" I nod, "Do not fret brother she is doing just fine, mother is currently with her so I can talk with you." He nods and lets me enter his chambers, we sit down, "So what is it you wish to talk with me about?" I look up from the floor, "How do I care for her brother? Do I just stay with her? Make sure she's warm? I do not understand what I am meant to do and mother just says 'It will come naturally'. I do not understand." He sits back and thinks for a moment, "Be by her side as much as you can, you must notice little changes- if she's warm or cold, if she can feel her limbs or if she's in pain. If she cannot walk or move her arms, carry her or help her eat. Comfort her, let her know you're there to stay and just talk. It doesn't have to be serious just talk and have her relax. The change will be very painful and the cancer will only make it worse so just...be there." He looks to the ground visibly upset, "I will do just that brother. Do not worry and please for her sake: rest." I stand up and leave his chambers, thankfully Lady Ivory's chamber is right next door so it wasn't a long walk to get to her.

I knock and mother opens the door, "Will you be taking over now?" I nod, "Yes, I do believe I know the basics of what to do." Mother pats my arm and smiles, "You'll learn throughout the day. Have fun!" Mother walks past me and down the halls, I enter Ivory's chambers. She's laying down on her side, because her wings get in the way, "How you feeling Lady Ivory?" I sit down on the chair provided by her bedside, "I've had better days but not too bad right now. I have a feeling I might've just jinxed it though." She laughs wearily. "Can you do my a favour Thor? Can you help me sit up? I've kinda lost feeling in the left side of my body." I lean forward grabbing a couple pillows and placing them behind her then I carefully lift her up, making sure I'm moving her wings into a comfortable position as well. "How's that?" I ask, she nods. "Thanks."

Time passes and not much happens for awhile, we just talk or she sleeps but not long before dinner she cries out in pain. I panic and don't know what to do, "Lady Ivory?! Are you alright?" She whimpers and grips the left side of her body, she grips it too hard and I can tell its about to bruise so I move her arm away. "B-burns! It burns..." She groans, I look around and see the bathroom. "A cold bath? Would that work?" She nods and I pick her up and carefully place her in the tub, still dressed in her night robe, and let the cold water fill the tub with her in it. Her body relaxes slightly but I can see her gritting her teeth still. I stay beside her until the pain subsides and call on the maids to change her robe, once done I carried her back to bed and waited beside her. Not long later she fell asleep. Another hour passes and I'm sitting staring at the ceiling when I hear the door open. "Yes?" Knowing only three people don't knock, mother, father and brother. I look over and see brother holding a tray of food, "Why aren't you resting brother?" He walks over and places the tray on the table then looks at Lady Ivory, "I was...I just wanted to make sure she was alright." I nod, "Well she was in a bit of pain earlier but she's fine now. So please just go back to your room and come back looking like you're alive tomorrow. If I'm correct she only has two more days of this anyways." Loki nods and leaves the room.