(21) A run away

Things got better until they didn't, for some reason Ivory suddenly began to avoid the team. For a whole week they had barely seen her, which worried them profoundly as it likely meant she was relapsing again, from what they had previously seen when this happened it didn't end well.  By this point it had gone on for two weeks and it was nearing the third week. Even Echo was getting worried about her! She calmly explained to the owl that something felt off and that she needed to leave. She didn't know why or where but she felt weak and alone, so her reaction was to flee somewhere where she'd feel safe. Somewhere away from civilisation. She knew leaving the avengers would break her heart but she felt as if she couldn't be near people. Echo instantly understood and flew over to a chair and started filling it with items Ivory might need whilst searching for a new place. Before leaving Ivory left a small messy note on her desk

'I know this sudden and weird but something felt off and I didn't feel safe. It's not you guys' fault! Something is just wrong with me and I need time to work this out. I'm sorry I had to leave like this but please don't look for me. Bucky I loved your cooking. Nat I'm sorry for constantly stealing your guns but the chase was fun! Steve thanks for helping me train. Tony keep being your snarky self for me. Thanks Bruce for helping me. Thor, please never cooks again and stop  stealing everyone's pop tarts! But thanks for being there when I had another bad dream. I don't know what I did but I'm sorry Nick, I don't understand why you began avoiding me but to me you felt like the father I never had. And finally, Peter and Loki... I couldn't of asked for better friends, you guys were always there for me and never gave up on me. You brought me out of a dark place and I'm sorry for leaving you guys. Promise me one thing- please don't look for me. I don't know if I will return. Again I know it's sudden and silly but just know I love all of you guys!'

Ivory nods at Echo and opens the balcony, he flies out first. She takes one last look and the dark room and flies out to Echo who is very patiently waiting for her to catch up. "Do you have any ideas of where to go ivory?" He chirps, "Yes there's a national park not too far away. It's secluded and from what I've found the rangers only check the area every few months." She grips her duffle bag and they fly to the Adirondack Forest Preserve. They arrive to the preserve by dawn.

Echo follows behind Ivory as she tries to find an unmarked area but to her dismay everything has a mark, so as her last resort she asked for help from the local animals. They were friendly but didn't have the space or food to feed a human. Finally a mated pair of old bears suggested living with the wolf pack up north of the preserve. She tanks the old couple and flew off. It didn't take long for her to find the wolves, well they found her, at first they were hostile but after hearing that she had left her home due to a weird instinct they welcomed her as long as she agreed to help around the den. When they had arrived at the wolf den Echo found himself a hollowed tree and made that his base, whilst Ivory was impressed by the size of the entrance. She could walk in without ducking! The wolves quickly made friends with Ivory, she helped clean out the den once a month, do a bit of fishing, trapping/hunting but her main job was to look after the pups when the adults went out which she was fine with.

Loki's POV:

Something felt off as it is 6 am and there isn't a ball of energy bouncing on my bed to wake me up, everything is quiet. After living with ivory, you find silence unnerving. Fearing the worst I race over to her room and just as I suspected she wasn't there! I frantically look around and even Echo is missing. I yell for JARVIS to alert everyone else and it doesn't take long for them to all pile through the door. I turn to look at them with a note in my hand, "She's gone..." They look at me shocked and confused. "This isn't funny reindeer games" I simply stand there in a daze until Nat takes the note from my hands and my brother shakes me out of my day dream. "She really did leave." Nat relayed "I don't understand! What did she mean 'something felt wrong?' Are we being watched? Did we do something wrong?" I begin nibbling at my thumbnail mumbling to myself when a winded Bruce charges into the room telling us to follow him to the lab. We all reluctantly do so, although brother had to drag both me and Bucky there as we just wanted to find our little bird.

"What is so important that we have to halt the search?" I grumble, Bruce sighs and points at his middle PC screen "Trust me Loki, this might shed some light as to why she left." Thor pats my shoulder and I turn my head away "Fine, say what you have to say so we can bring her home. I won't be able to rest well knowing she could be kidnapped again." Bruce nods and brings up a bunch of ivory's files, after a couple seconds of browsing through he files he finds the one he was looking for. He points at the screen and looks at us "Something in her DNA is mutating at a rapid pace causing her healing ability to come to a standstill. Plus whatever it is seems to look like cancer cells..." He pauses, Bucky slams his metal arm on the table in frustration "What do you mean 'seems to look like cancer cells'?!" Peter tries to. Calm him down and Bruce pushes up his glasses to continue, "I say 'seems' as although they look like cancer cells, they are even more advanced that anything that has ever been recorded medically! Hell I'm surprised her body is till functioning." Nat asks what we are all thinking "What does that mean for Ivory?" He takes off his glasses and begins tearing up, I grab him by the collar "What does it mean?!" He tries to speak but pauses to regain some composure before starting, "It means she doesn't have long left, for all we know the cancer could spread to the rest of her at any moment causing her healing abilities to stop completely, leaving her in agony. We need to find her and fast."

A/n: Sorry if this doesn't make sense scientifically. I tried but honestly I'm failing all my science classes so, sorry. Also the chapter have been longer as I'm close to wrapping up the story. Hope you've enjoyed so far!