Please Come Home part 38

-A couple of days later-

Today was the day of my appointment. Jay had already gone with Jug and I had just gotten out of the shower and was now ready to go. I got in my car and drove to the doctors office.

N-"Hello Ms. Cooper"

B-"Oh you can call me Betty"

N-"Betty it is"

She gave me a warm smile then closed the door.

N-"Ok so I'm going to have you hop up on the chair for me and I'm gonna ask you a few questions"

I nodded then got in the chair as she took out a pen and sat down in the rolling chair beside me.

N-"Ok so I'm just going to ask a couple of questions then we'll move onto the ultrasound"

I nodded.

N-"Ok so do you know how far along you are?"

B-"No"

N-"When was the last time you were sexually active?"

B-"About 7 weeks ago"

She nodded and wrote it down on her clipboard.

N-"And have you been pregnant before?"

B-"Yes, I was pregnant about 5 years ago. Then last year I got pregnant again but I had a miscarriage at 7 months"

N-"Oh, I'm very sorry for your loss"

B-"Thank you"

She asked me a few more basic questions before coming to the one I had been dreading.

N-"How about the father? Is he going to be in the baby's life?"

B-"Um, I was actually going to ask you if there was a way for me to get a paternity test before the baby is born?"

N-"You don't know who the father of your baby is?"

B-"It's just between 2 guys, I just want to confirm which one it is"

N-"Ok, well there is a paternity test you can do before the baby is born, but you'll have to wait until you're 13 weeks"

B-"Ok"

She explained to me how it would work and it would take 3 to 5 "business days" to get the results back. I agreed to it and sat back on the chair while she wrote something down.

N-"Ok, now we're ready to do the ultrasound"

She smiled and asked me to lift up my shirt, I did so. She then turned off the lights and on the machine. She squirted the gel onto the wand then started to move it around my stomach. Even after all the times I have had this done it still made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I looked up at the screen and saw my little baby, the little bean.

N-"Do you want to hear the heartbeat?"

I nodded, my eyes filled with tears already. When the heartbeat filled the room they burst out and stream down my cheeks. Soon it was over and the lights turned back on, she gave me a paper towel to wipe off my stomach and then asked if I wanted pictures. I nodded and she smiled then hit a button to print them out.

N-"The pictures will be waiting for you at the front desk, and the doctor will be in soon"

B-"Thank you"

N-"You're welcome" (smiles)

She left and a few minutes later the doctor came in. We talked about the paternity test and some symptoms I would be experiencing. She was very kind and calmed me down while reassuring me that there was nothing to worry about.