I Miss You~Fives

A/N: heartache alert!!

Out of all the clones, Fives and Rex would have the hardest time dealing with the loss of a lover.

This is not gender-neutral either. FemReaderXFives

WARNING!! This is on depression and grief. If these topics make you uncomfortable, stay away.

"No, no. Come back cyare! Come back!" He yelled, rocking your lifeless body in his arms.

The war was raging around him but all his focus was on you.

"Wake up cyar'ika. Please... I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" he whispered into your pale cheeks, tears streaming down his face and falling onto yours.

There was part of him that hoped that his fallen tears would breathe life into your body, bring you back when it already felt like you had been gone for so long. But they didn't and you hadn't.

"Please... I love you" he cried into the unforgiving space of the galaxy.

"Come back..." he held onto you as tightly as possible. He didn't want to let you go.

No matter how hard Echo tried to pull Fives off of you, he wouldn't give.

He didn't want to let go of the one thing that kept him grounded in this galaxy, that kept him fighting and moving forward in each battle.

He couldn't bear to let you go.

***

"I miss you cyare. Please come back to me. Please come back" his voice was rough and garbled. It didn't even sound like Fives anymore.

"Come on Fives, we have to go. We have to leave" Echo said urgently but Fives only shook his head.

He didn't want to leave this spot, this moment, because the second he did, reality would set in.
He would have to face the truth.

The truth that you were no longer here with him, no longer there to hold him, to love him. No longer there to keep him grounded.

You were gone and he was on his own.

***

Rex came running to Fives, dodging shots and firing his blaster along the way. "Fives! Come on! We have to go!"

Fives finally spoke to Rex, no longer speaking to only you, "I can't leave her. I can't leave her body". He looked up at Rex as he spoke and that stopped Rex in his tracks.

He had never seen Fives so broken, so lost in his entire life. He knew he couldn't ask Fives to leave you, to forget about you.

"Come on vod," Rex said genuinely, reaching down to Fives to help him up as he was bearing the weight of your lifeless body.

Walking with his head hung low, carrying you in his arms, Fives couldn't comprehend what was happening. Couldn't believe that this was reality. That you were dead, and in his arms.

Rex walking backward, shielded Fives and you the best he could.

Echo had scooped up your robe that you had taken off to battle Grievous.

Jogging up alongside Fives, taking shots at droids from the side, he placed your robe over your body so Fives didn't have to stare at the face that he once held to his chest late at night, the face that he kissed passionately when the two of you saw each other after months apart. The face that held the biggest smile when he had finally asked you to marry him.

He couldn't bear to look at it any longer, the image of it already burned to his memory.

From underneath your robe, he could see the silhouette of your hand laying on your chest, close to the lightsaber wound that had taken your life, and the band he had used to propose to you with. Ever since you had gotten it, you had sworn to never take it off. And even in battle you never took it off.

You kept true to your word.

This broke Fives even more to see your ring. To know you two would never get to marry, never get to exchange vows, never get the opportunity to start a family. That was all gone now.

He wouldn't be able to keep true to his word.

***

Every day after that moment felt like an uphill battle. And Fives could never win.

Every moment of his life, every second of his days his mind remained on you.

He couldn't bear to stop thinking about you. Couldn't forget you, ever.

You were his home.

In every thought, I miss you ricocheted through his brain, his heart. Through his body and to his very core.

He ached for you. To be held by you, to feel loved by you, to feel you close to him once more.

When he was Umbara and he had lost Hardcase and had realized he was killing his brothers of the 212th and he came home to an empty apartment, and empty bed.

I miss you.

When he had gone to the Citadel and had seen Echo die in an explosion right before his very eyes; had seen his helmet roll to his feet, knowing he wouldn't have you to comfort him, to console and guide him through the loss of his best friend, his closest brother.

I miss you.

He missed you late at night when the nightmares kept him up.

He missed you early in the mornings when he was getting ready for a mission and you weren't there to see him off, to kiss him good luck. To promise you would see each other soon.

You weren't there.

When he had uncovered the truth about the inhibitor chips and was being hunted down; I miss you.

You were the only one who would have believed him. The only one that ever truly had his back.

You would have fought alongside him, gotten the Senate and the Jedi Council to believe him. You would have gotten Anakin to believe him. Padme to believe him. Anybody to believe him, but you weren't there so nobody believed him.

Even as he laid dying in Rex's arms, his time finally come, the smallest bit of him rejoiced.

He wouldn't have to miss you anymore. He wouldn't have to be reminded of you everywhere he looked. He wouldn't have to put up a front, hide his emotions, hide his heartache, his tears. He wouldn't have to do that anymore.

Laying in Rex's arms, knowing he did his duty, did the best he could for the Republic, he would finally be free.

He wouldn't miss missing you. He wouldn't be sad his life had come to end.

He wouldn't have to miss you anymore. This was it.

He was going home.